Catcher question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Catcher question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Catcher question

Postby craigh2002 » Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:56 pm

hey i missed the draft for yahoo again for the second straight year and managed to get charles johnson again at catcher. i think he is injured, but his numbers arent as good as they use to be. i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on some other options i have for catcher- maybe a rookie or a sleeper who will establish himself as one of the top catchers this year. here is what my team looks like.

C-Charles Johnson
1B- Paul Konerko
2B- Ray Durham
3B- Corey Koskie
SS-Rich Aurilia
OF-Shawn green
OF-Juan Gonzalez
OF- Pat Burrell
Util- Sean Burroughs

Bench-

-Carlos Pena
-Garret Anderson
-Darin Erstad
-Juan Uribe

Pitchers

-SP-Randy Johnson
-SP-Josh Beckett
-SP-Bartolo Colon
-SP-Brad Penny
-RP-Marianno Rivera
-RP-Keith Foulke
-RP-Antonio alfonseca
-RP- Felix Rodriquez
craigh2002
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Fri Mar 15, 2002 5:21 pm

Nice team! Maybe I should miss my drafts more often...

Anyway, Johnson has a sprained thumb and may or may not be ready by opening day. This is one of those injuries that are hard to judge; I was looking for him to bounce back from last year's weak numbers, but now I'm not so sure.

The crop of rookie or sleeper catchers is pretty thin this year. I assume Hall and Fick will have been taken in your league (if not, get one of them). I personally think Ben Petrick is a good risk for 2002, but any owners picking him should have a backup plan. Lieberthal or Varitek might still be available - both missed significant time last year and fell off a lot of owners' radar screens. I'm not quite convinced that Varitek is ready yet, though. A couple other guys you might try are Hernandez, LaRue and Ben Davis, if they're still available.

If you really want a top catcher, however, you'll probably have to try and trade for one, perhaps offering a closer or a package such as Johnson + Erstad. That's probably the route I'd try.

Anyway, your team looks great. How many teams are in the league? Roto scoring? The only thing I'd change would be to add another starting pitcher, preferably to fill a slot left open after trading for a catcher.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 15, 2002 5:55 pm

hey thanks for replying. i guess i did get a little lucky with my team since i missed the draft- i also made some small adjustments by adding and droping players.one thing im not too sure about is starting durham at 2B - but he will do for now.

im in a roto league for yahoo. i do it every year, its pretty much become a tradition- something i look forward too every baseball season like im sure alot of people do. this is my 4th year playing,. last year i won first place in my divison- going from last place to first. i kept an eye on the sleepers and the rookies,and picked up pujols before he started breakin out with the numbers.- but it was a gamble i was willing to take because i was gonna pickup payton instead,but i figured pujols would be the smarter choice- filling the whole in my lineup.

the catchers in my league are pretty much all taken. That la rue guyyou mentioned is on FA,but i am not that fam,iliar with him. do you know much about him?im looking into picking up him- because by the looks of it, he might be the only good catcher available- since all the others are taken. i might just take your advice and trade for a catcher-

What are your thoughts on Burrell? you think he will have a breakout year? im preditcing he willdo well,because look at most players that had similar seasons to him at his age- they ended up hitting 40 or more homers within a few seasons. so i think its possible he could hit 40 plus homers and 120 rbi's. if he stays healthy and can hit.

well thats about it man. lemme know what you think and what your team looks like.

later-

-Craig

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

great OF

Postby cwebb » Fri Mar 15, 2002 6:15 pm

Hey, I like your team! 've also got Anderson, Erstad and Green in the OF, problem is there's that Vladimir Guerrero who also wants to play, as well as Jose Cruz and now Chipper Jones...

You shouldn't be too unhappy with Durham at second, the talent at that position is very thin and he's a capable starter. Even if Burrell doesn't post big numbers this season you have a solid OF and it's worth the try. Sleepers like him can get you a championship!
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Fri Mar 15, 2002 6:17 pm

No problem. Nice call on Pujols vs. Payton!

LaRue is risky. He has good potential, including some pop in his bat, but he wasn't anything to write home about last year. I think he'll improve a bit this year, but expecting a true breakout might be too much to hope for. I wouldn't want him as a starting catcher, but he might do as a fill-in until Johnson returns. Who else is available in your league?

I like Burrell, but can't shake the feeling that he's still at least a year away from what everyone is hoping for. He's a good gamble though, especially since you have depth at of in case he doesn't develop. Expect 35/100; everything above that is gravy.

As for my own team (in my main keeper league), I'm lucky enough to have Kendall as my starter. I have no idea who will be backing him up, though. Darrin Fletcher may be available in my league's draft; Varitek will be, too. I may not have the budget to go for either of those guys, though, so I'll probably be scraping the bargain barrell.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers