How is Matt Morris really pitching? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How is Matt Morris really pitching?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How is Matt Morris really pitching?

Postby Elohim » Sat May 08, 2004 6:16 pm

Matt Morris was supposed to bounce back this year but is he really doing that?

He has some really GOOD numbers:
49 IP (1st in NL)
1.04 WHIP (T-8th in NL)
.214 BAA (12th in NL)

and some really BAD numbers:
11 HR allowed (T-most in NL)
1.57 K/BB ratio
4.04 K/9 inn ratio

Those last 2 numbers are especially troubling because for his career he has a 2.54 K/BB ratio and a 6.63 K/9 inn ratio. Why isn't he striking as many batters out? What's his fastball reading on the gun? 94-96 mph or 90-93 mph?
How are his curve and changeup looking? All those homers allowed is cause for concern as well. I haven't seen him pitch this year so any Cards fans please give some input.

I actually dont own him yet but am thinking of trading Aramis for him since I need pitching. Do you see his K's going up and him pitching like an ace the rest of the way or is the low K rate a sign of bad things to come? Also, how would you rate him compared to Wade Miller, C. Zambrano and Clement for the rest of the season?
Elohim
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby matmat » Sat May 08, 2004 6:55 pm

hmmm... good question. I'd also like to know the answer to it.

I'd also love to see his ERA, WHIP and all the other ratios by inning, (all I can find on yahoo is by pitch #, which isn't exactly the same thing). It seems to me that a lot of pitchers have a tendency to screw up early and then settle down... it's kinda weird.

Please help me with my pickup problem
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat May 08, 2004 7:51 pm

I haven't seen him pitch on TV or live but I'd still expect 17-18 wins, a 3.10 ERA and about 160-180 K's from him. As long as he can stay healthy all year...
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DominicanLou » Sat May 08, 2004 10:04 pm

I've seen him throw a few times here in St. Louis. He has definetly not been throwing to his ability. At times he has whined and complained when he has been on the mound. He isnt very pleased with himself. That said, he is very capable of being an ace quality pitcher. I dont have him on my team, but if I did I would have confidence in him getting things worked out. He is struggling right now and he is not doing too bad, so imagine when he gets things together.
DominicanLou
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sinicalypse » Sat May 08, 2004 10:36 pm

this is my fourth season of fantasy baseball, and i've established that i have "my guys" who i like to patronize throughout my seasons... then there's just some players who i never really go after despite good numbers year in and year out.

matt morris is one of them.

sure he's good and the cardinals O is pretty good, but i just never was enamored with the greatness that is matt morris... so like, well, i dont know, i never really endorse the guy... and i've won like 50% of the leagues i play in without him, so really, i'm never going to move to him.

besides, isnt he in his 30s and likely entering the downside of his career if he hasnt already?
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Return to Baseball Leftovers