Dunn and his K's - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dunn and his K's

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dunn and his K's

Postby Members Only Jackets » Sat May 08, 2004 6:00 am

I'm getting drilled by my team striking out too many times. Dunn has k'd like 35 times in about 86 AB's....would you consider playing S Green in place of Dunn? Just curious. Thanks.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Members Only Jackets » Sat May 08, 2004 4:17 pm

bump

anyone
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronsonPinchot » Sat May 08, 2004 4:20 pm

What kind of question is this? If you want less strikeouts, play players that don't strikeout. What else are you looking for?
BronsonPinchot Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Members Only Jackets » Sat May 08, 2004 4:22 pm

Dunn seems to average 2 k's a game....and he's slowing down a bit.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ramble2 » Sat May 08, 2004 6:59 pm

BronsonPinchot wrote:What kind of question is this? If you want less strikeouts, play players that don't strikeout. What else are you looking for?

What kind of answer is this? :-7 He's looking for advice concerning Green vs. Dunn.

That said, Dunn is horrible for leagues that count strikeouts. If the same league counts OBP that may balance things out a bit, but with Dunn you've got to be wary. Those Ks aren't going anywhere fast. Last year he killed people's BA, hopefully this year he can keep it up around .270-.280. Still, it's hard to answer the question without knowing your league parameters.

More specific to your question:

Green had 112 Ks in both 2002 and 2003 (in 158 and 160 games, respectively). At 31 years old, he's probably not going to reinvent himself, so look for something similar this year.

Dunn had 170 Ks in 2002 (158 games) and 126 Ks in 2003 (116 games). Not good news, but this year he's got a new hitting coach who, rumor has it, isn't encouraging him to chase so many pitches (last year, his coaches were doing the opposite). A good sign is that thus far this year his K/BB ratio is down to about 1.0 (as opposed to 1.3 and 1.7 in the two previous years). Dunn is still young (24), and has a great eye. If his coaches have the patience to let him take a walk, and he can keep his K/BB ratio down around 1.0, well, he'll still end up with 150 Ks - but his batting average will at least stick around .260-.270 and he'll hit a ton of HRs. It's up to you whether this is more valuable than Green.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby gateman4 » Sat May 08, 2004 7:25 pm

I would try to trade him for a better all around offensive player, I have found him relatively easy to trade...Dunn that is.
You owe it to yourself to be the best you can possible be - in baseball and in life.
--Pete Rose

A hot dog at the ball park is better than steak at the Ritz.
--Humphrey Bogart
gateman4
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Sat May 08, 2004 8:50 pm

man, your in a strike out league and you got dunn? i'm one of his biggest supporters but it is basically like forgeiting that category. obviously if you don't want as many k's then sub in green for him against the better pitchers, but i'd still play him. he will help you in hr's a lot, and you had to expect some bit of a slump...he was hitting over .350 and everyone knew that wouldn't last. If griffey keeps batting 5th like he is (though i don't think he will) dunn has good protection and when kearns returns to offense just gets better.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers