Kazao - a dud ? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kazao - a dud ?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stomperrob » Sat May 08, 2004 12:30 pm

I think he's gonna be very average - I just dumped him for Uribe (and I have Reyes waiting on DL)
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tavish » Sat May 08, 2004 2:44 pm

I'll be interested to see how long the Mets keep him in the lead off spot. ATM he is hitting .235 with 31 Ks vs 28 hits and 15 walks. While the Mets offense isn't spectacular, Kaz getting extra at bats isn't helping at all.

If things don't turn around fast and Kaz is still leading off all of next week then management is being way too stubborn trying to prove Kaz was worth the hype.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Registered_Guest » Sat May 08, 2004 4:32 pm

He always struggled in Japan at the beginning of the year.

His K rate is worrisome and that's a number that won't change dramatically. If you depended on him, I'd ride him out.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Sat May 08, 2004 4:39 pm

Tavish wrote:I'll be interested to see how long the Mets keep him in the lead off spot. ATM he is hitting .235 with 31 Ks vs 28 hits and 15 walks. While the Mets offense isn't spectacular, Kaz getting extra at bats isn't helping at all.

If things don't turn around fast and Kaz is still leading off all of next week then management is being way too stubborn trying to prove Kaz was worth the hype.

Despite his struggles Kaz still has a .323 OBP. Granted that's not spectacular for a lead-off hitter but considering the Mets' alternatives (with Reyes injured) Kaz will most likely stay in that spot. It won't be due to stubborness it will be due to no other choice.

One possible exception may be Danny Garcia if he continues to hit as well as he has been but I don't think Garcia has the type of speed they want at the top of the order.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby d18Mike » Sat May 08, 2004 4:39 pm

0-5 Tonight. Wow.

I can take a .230 average if there are some SB or HRs in the equation. He has been a dud straight across the board. I wish I had more confidence, but as I said earlier, a number of scouts have commented that he looks terribly overmatched.

Come on Eckstein, repull that groin so that Figgins can get just 1 more game at SS!!!
Last edited by d18Mike on Sat May 08, 2004 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jbones733 » Sat May 08, 2004 4:43 pm

he is a big fat DUD , cause the mets got him, if yanks would of got him he would of been great, mets are just the organization who cant make the right moves ,

i mean here's the recent track record -

Acquired ( Vaughn, Alomar, Kaz, Glavine)

Passed on ( A Rod, Vlad)

doesent take a rocket scientist to figure some of those moves out
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Amazinz » Sat May 08, 2004 4:45 pm

d18Mike wrote:0-5 Tonight. Wow.

I can take a .230 average if there are some SB or HRs in the equation. He has been a dud straight across the board. I wish I had more confidence, but as I said earlier, a number of scouts have commented that he looks terribly overmatched.

You don't need a number of scouts if you've watched the games. He is overmatched right now. He's still adjusting and I think we all knew this would happen despite the hype. Will he ever adjust and live up to it? I don't know but even as a Mets fan it was a gamble I was not willing to take on draft day.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sat May 08, 2004 4:49 pm

jbones733 wrote:he is a big fat DUD , cause the mets got him, if yanks would of got him he would of been great, mets are just the organization who cant make the right moves ,

i mean here's the recent track record -

Acquired ( Vaughn, Alomar, Kaz, Glavine)

Passed on ( A Rod, Vlad)

doesent take a rocket scientist to figure some of those moves out

The Mets have a new GM so don't hold those moves against. Vaughn, Alomar, Glavine and passing on Arod were all moves by made Phillips.

Vlad belongs in the AL so I think that was a good move by Duquette. Cameron, Garcia and Spencer are turning out to be good moves. Don't judge Duquette yet.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby matmat » Sat May 08, 2004 4:59 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:For some reason the Japanese players are either overrated (The matsui brothers) or they get steadily worse as their American careers continue (Ichiro or Hideo Nomo) To think they would continue the same numbers from Japan is ridiculous. I tend to reduce those numbers severely because of the lack of skill level there. So I expected about 15/15 year from Little Matsui, and Im going to stick to hit. (15 homers may be too many though)

If I am not mistaken, for the most part they come to MLB once they've already had a successful career in the Japanese leagues, which typically means they are past their prime... since they are past their prime it should not surprise anyone that they tend to put up decreasing numbers.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat May 08, 2004 5:11 pm

So why do they make such a big deal about these guys then? Id much rather have a 20 year old prospect from the US or Carribean then a 30 year old who proved he could hit weak Japanese pitching. Ichiro was great for that one year, but hes declining quickly.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers