Kazao - a dud ?

Postby Scott Time » Sat May 08, 2004 4:04 am

It's starting to look that way.
Scott Time
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Spokes » Sat May 08, 2004 4:12 am

He's been struggling with some nagging injuries, but those sound like excuses. He is K'ing way too much for a leadoff guy and just can't pick up the pitches right now. A dud? Well, it's only May, but it sure is looking that way.
The best lyric ever: "You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you gotta glass jaw you should watch your mouth...'cause I'll break yo face."
Spokes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pbeall100281 » Sat May 08, 2004 4:16 am

He will bounce back but it may take a while
pbeall100281 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby trac02 » Sat May 08, 2004 5:44 am

It took awhile for the other Matsui to adjust as well, though 16 HR for him had to be a disappointment after all the Godzilla talk. As for Kaz, whether he is a bust depends on expectations. If you saw .300- 20-30SB you will be disappointed...if you saw .290 -15-15SB I don't see any reason why not. But given the general high expectations I'd have to say the latter prediction does make him a 'dud'.
trac02
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thetongueofire » Sat May 08, 2004 10:10 am

lol.... if he gives me .290-15 and 15 SB's for the whole year... id be really really happy ;-D i think he'll come around pretty soon or atleast whenever the Mets can put a decent no. 2 hitter behind him *reyes*..... the Mets offensively are struggling pretty badly right now.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby trac02 » Sat May 08, 2004 10:30 am

thetongueofire wrote:lol.... if he gives me .290-15 and 15 SB's for the whole year... id be really really happy ;-D i think he'll come around pretty soon or atleast whenever the Mets can put a decent no. 2 hitter behind him *reyes*..... the Mets offensively are struggling pretty badly right now.

I agree with you, but there were some pretty ridiculous predictions on this board of Kaz being twice the power guy Hideki is. As far as I'm concerned a 15-15 SS is extremely valuable, but some people had ridiculous expectations.

And yes, the Mets offense stinks.
trac02
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat May 08, 2004 10:37 am

For some reason the Japanese players are either overrated (The matsui brothers) or they get steadily worse as their American careers continue (Ichiro or Hideo Nomo) To think they would continue the same numbers from Japan is ridiculous. I tend to reduce those numbers severely because of the lack of skill level there. So I expected about 15/15 year from Little Matsui, and Im going to stick to hit. (15 homers may be too many though)
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sat May 08, 2004 11:46 am

15 HRs is too high IMO. He's a slap hitter and may come up with 10 HRs. I still don't think 20 SBs is out of the question but 15 is probably a safer bet. I still think he's a good enough hitter to hit at least .280 when the season's through.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby d18Mike » Sat May 08, 2004 12:04 pm

At the start of the year I said: "With Kaz, think Furcal. They'll have about the same numbers." It looks like I'll be way off.

I agree with the folks who say, have patience. But as one scout said recently, he is so visibly overmatched so often that you wonder just how long its going to take him to adjust.

It's only May, I realize. But I'm not hopeful that he'll have a clue by the AS break.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Quaker » Sat May 08, 2004 12:09 pm

I tried to trade him when he got off to a good start, but no one bit that early. I'm probably just going to drop him.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers