relievers vs. closers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

relievers vs. closers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

relievers vs. closers

Postby Deathrow » Sat May 08, 2004 3:03 am

Do you think a player like krod is better than closers on bad teams becuase you know he will get the work every week and a closer may come in once per week
Deathrow
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jpbusta » Sat May 08, 2004 3:06 am

K-rod helps you with Ks(duh), era, and whip, but the most important, he won't get you saves. People tend to think good relievers are responsible for improving era and whip but that's not true. It's 99% that depends on the SPs because they pitch for many innings and that's what gives u a good era and whip. I'd rather have a shitty closer like Koch than K-rod because at least I'll get the saves and my SPs can cover the era and whip.
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thehat » Sat May 08, 2004 3:08 am

In a standard 5x5, K-Rod has really limited value. Keeper league, a different story as he will close next season and should be a dominator. But for this year, what's he gonna get ya? Maybe a win here or there, but by and large he sets up Percival when the Halos are ahead. So, little gain there. Saves? Not unless Percival gets hurt. And as stellar as his WHIP/ERA/K per IP may be, a guy pitching 70 innings out of the 1200 or so your team will accumulate just doesn't make much of an impact.

Just to illustrate, in the real world I'd obviously rather have K-Rod than Betancourt. But in roto, if Betancourt stays closing for Cleveland, he'll end up with a higher overall rating that K-Rod. Life in fantasyland.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby fiz » Sat May 08, 2004 11:30 am

it really depends, i think - my team had excess closers and i dealt biddle instead of k-rod - i have benitez, kolb, and koch (he wouldnt touch koch lol), so i think ill be fine with saves and biddle just likes throwing batting practice i think...k-i like to think of k-rod as half a stud starter sort of - he'll get 8 wins or so, with a great era and whip, and in a very tight league, you never know - it could be the difference...but yea, k-rod doesnt get saves so dont expect that, i personally cant stand shitty closers that hurt my era and whip, rarely get Ks, but get saves once in a while...maybe its just me, but i think that over the long run, too much of this will hurt (2 of these crap closers almost equal on starting pitcher)
fiz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby ramble2 » Sat May 08, 2004 11:57 am

A good MR can be valuable in a 5x5 roto league. Generally, you'd rather have a closer, but I'd argue that it's better to have two good MRs than one good crappy starter (that may be obvious).

Someone like Lidge, Dotel (last year) or K-Rod might throw 100 innings. In my league we have a 1450 IP limit. 100 innings of solid work can move your ERA or WHIP slightly - but potentially significantly depending on how tight the rankings are.

Don't get too attached to any one MR though. You can almost always find a solid MR on the waiver wire, and there are very few MRs who year-to-year perform solidly (there's a reason they are MRs, after all). If you are drafting, target the younger MRs like K-Rod, Dotel and Lidge, the guys who are being groomed to be closers. They tend to be the most reliable.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 6)

Postby The Indestructible » Sat May 08, 2004 12:08 pm

In my 12 team, 5x5 roto league, my closers are Kolb, Graves, and Chacon. In Yahoo, the latter two are eligible at SP and RP. Seeing this, I dropped my end-of-the-rotation pitchers and picked up K-Rod and Lidge.

Their effect on your team isn't noticeable unless, like last week, they vulture a win or a save. But over the long haul, they're great.

I know to take projections with a grain of salt, but combined, Lidge and K-Rod are on pace for:

175 innings, 280 Ks, an ERA around 2, a WHIP under 1, and a handful of wins and saves.

I'll take that over a Mike Hampton (who might only nab a few more wins, but with higher ratios and less Ks).
The Indestructible
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers