Teixeira or Castillo (edit: Castilla) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Teixeira or Castillo (edit: Castilla)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby trac02 » Sat May 08, 2004 5:47 am

I wish zeli was here to clear up this o/a confusion.
If you're talking about, say, Luis Castillo, definitely Tex.
If you're talking about Vinny Castilla, I'm going to surprise myself and go with Castilla for this season. His career shows he can rake at Coors. Granted Tex has the higher career upside but that oblique injury nags at the back of my mind for this season.
trac02
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Spokes » Sat May 08, 2004 5:58 am

This topic is about Castillo, but we got off track a bit with the Castilla talk. Anyway, back to Tex vs. CastillO.
The best lyric ever: "You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you gotta glass jaw you should watch your mouth...'cause I'll break yo face."
Spokes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby G-Man » Sat May 08, 2004 10:04 am

too bad Tex already stole his one bag for the year his first game back from the DL but he is still my choice. ;-D
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby zEli173 » Sat May 08, 2004 10:10 am

I'm an idiot. I meant Castilla. Damn vowels.

I'm about as torn as this thread.

On the one hand Vinny is old and wasn't decent in the last year of his first Colorado stint. All signs pointed to a downward trend in his career and when he left it became apparent how much he benefited from hitting in Coors.

On the other hand, it is possible for older hitters to find their strokes again. It happens, but when it does, we don't want to believe it. No one wanted to believe Javy was for real last year. Confidence is important even in veterans and Vinny certainly has to feel confident hitting in Coors. While he's obviously going to hit better at home, that confidence will carry over while he's on the road.

Finally, Vinny hits cleanup for the Rockies. How could he not drive in 100?

As far as Teix. goes. It's just too early to tell about this season, he's only played 10 games. He is a fine looking young player, he hits in a very good offense and has his own hitters park. 26 HR's in his rookie year is quite an accomplishment, he should get better this year. But I'm not sure we should expect him to match Vinny in OBP.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat May 08, 2004 10:23 am

Tex has hit a couple homers since his return, so I would put the oblique out of your mind. Plus Id rather have a guy who can hit in any park for 81 extra games when you only want to play Castilla 81 games a year (he cant hit away from Coors)
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers