NL Cy Young? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

NL Cy Young?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby shortround_phat2008 » Sat May 08, 2004 12:34 am

What I meant by I don't expect much from Zambrano is that there is know way he can get Cy Young when he has Kerry Wood on his team, and if you watch the Cubs you would know that Kerry Wood is way, way, way better than Zambrano.
shortround_phat2008
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rich101682 » Sat May 08, 2004 12:38 am

Wood does have a better chance and I don't think he's quite Cy Young caliber this year, but with the last 2 starts he's had, you never know...
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby Tavish » Sat May 08, 2004 12:59 am

I'll give Woods the inside track for the NL race. Halladay for second straight in the AL. (BoSox nation begin rants of Schilling for MVP)
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby rich101682 » Sat May 08, 2004 1:00 am

Wood's gonna get nothing if the Cubs don't start hitting when he takes the ball every 5 days!
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby Ender » Sat May 08, 2004 1:07 am

I drafted Johnson in the 3rd round behind Soriano and Schmidt and personally I think he will win it this year. Only thing that will hold him back is he'll probably be in the range of 15 wins instead of 20+, but he is absolutely dominating outside of that.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby mtarail » Sat May 08, 2004 1:09 am

shortround_phat2008 wrote:What I meant by I don't expect much from Zambrano is that there is know way he can get Cy Young when he has Kerry Wood on his team, and if you watch the Cubs you would know that Kerry Wood is way, way, way better than Zambrano.

Subsitute Beckett for Wood and the Marlins for the Cubs. Then I'd say the exact same think about your Brad Penny prediction.

I think it's gonna come down to Schmidt, Oswalt (if he can just stay healthy), and Wood.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Longhorns76 » Sat May 08, 2004 1:25 am

Wasn't a member then but my prediction and I was actually serious about this at the time but I thought Mike Hampton would really step up and win it. I guess that's not going to happen now.

Truthfully, I don't see Oswalt doing it. Something about his delivery and his mechanics scare me away from him as I don't ever think he can hold up an entire season.

If I had to pick today though with a clean slate and seeing how everyone is pitching so far, I would say that Matt Clement has the arm to do it for the whole season, its all between his ears that can stop him.
"Relievers are like volatile stocks. They're the one asset you need to watch closely, and trade for quick profits." --Billy Beane
Longhorns76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Sat May 08, 2004 2:58 am

No one sees a closer winning it again this year? Graves has what 11 saves already? Although i dont think he'll win it. I remember early last year when this Cy Young talk started in early May. Gagne was never considered cause he's a RP. And I dont think that a closer will get it this year but I was just throwing it out there. I actually told one of my buddies that I thought one of the S.D. pitchers would win it this year. Just didnt know which one. Peavy is looking pretty solid so far.
Eaton has been good K/BB ratio and ERA but his record isnt good. Lawerence rec is good but his ERA is bad and K/BB ratio is bad. But I'll stay with my pick that a SD Padre is gonna win it this year... which one remains to be seen.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hybrid » Sat May 08, 2004 3:16 am

Lawrence will never ever ever ever be in the same sentence as Cy Young (except right now of course). Eaton's stuff isn't that good for him to even make a run at it, i doubt he will ever be dominant enough of a pitcher. The only pitcher that has a remote chance would be Peavy, and he is still sooo young that i would expect him to have some funks that he gets into. Though it is nice to not see any people saying Peavy won't be any good, i remember quite a few that didn't think much of all about the kid this year.

As for who I like now...and who I liked before. That would be Wood, as long as his arm doesn't fall off, he is just to good. He makes the best of offenses swing at down right silly pitches. Oswalt is good but like others have said his delivery scares me, it's to jurky and looks to cause to much stress. surprised they haven't altered it any, or at least slowed it down some like the marlins did w/ willis. As for 2005, I say Beckett ;-D
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby thetongueofire » Sat May 08, 2004 9:54 am

if we're talking about sleepers lemme throw Matt Clement and Randy Wolf out there... Clement if he can improve his control obviously has some pretty nasty stuff and he finally may have had enough experience to move up a level. Wolf may come close if Larrry Bowa stops abusing him. ;-)

and if you go a lil down further id also say Odalis Perez... his 02 season was awesome, never walked anyone. last year he had major problems trying to keep the ball low. but he seems to be back this year....

and also the only problem i have with any Marlin or Jason Schmidt is that wins are a huge part of the Cy Young- no one has ever had less than 16 wins as starter and won the Cy (one of the two 16 win winners was Maddux in 94 and a guy who switched leagues midseason (AL to NL) in 84- only stats from the guys stay in the NL counted)....
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers