Ditching Categories? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ditching Categories?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ditching Categories?

Postby JuiceMonkey » Fri May 07, 2004 11:29 pm

I am seriously considering throwing the Saves category in my Yahoo 10 team standard 5x5 H2H league. I am in first place by 6.5 games and my offense is pretty potent but I am a little lacking in the P categories. I have two BN in my offense while most other teams have one or two more SP than me and its starting to hurt in W and K's, even though I keep winning S because of Benitez (but I dont know how long that will last). Here is P...

SP Wood
SP Livan
SP Millwood
SP Webb
RP Benitez
RP Guardado
RP Herges
BN Odalis Perez
BN Sheets

I like my staff although I hate the Dodgers and therefore Perez. But, I keep getting very reasonable offers for Benitez (been offered Schmidt, also offered Maddux + D. Wells). So, has anyone tried ditching Saves, how did it work out? If I did it, I would trade all three closers for good SP and pick up high K, low ERA middle relief to fill RP. Anything would help, thanks.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra
JuiceMonkey
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby astros » Fri May 07, 2004 11:40 pm

I would not punt saves in a H2H league, but I would trade Benitez for Schmidt as quick as I could.
astros
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby JuiceMonkey » Sat May 08, 2004 12:46 am

My thoughts are the same but that leaves me with Guardado and Herges as closers...which, at this point, is like punting saves.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra
JuiceMonkey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tavish » Sat May 08, 2004 12:51 am

There is still a difference though. Punting would be unloading all your relievers and penciling in a 1 in saves. By keeping a couple you leave yourself (hopefully) within striking distance to finish middle of the pack or higher if you want to make a stab later.

Either way you go, Benitez for Schimdt would be crazy to pass up IMO.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby EK711 » Sat May 08, 2004 1:07 am

Someone else was discussing the same thing a few days ago, i.e. getting rid of all their closers in a 5x5 H2H league. I can't remember who it was that pointed this out, but they made a very valid point. If you punt saves you automatically start out 0-1. Which means that if you won 5 out of the other 9 remaining categories you would only tie 5-5. You'd have to win 6 of the remaining 9 to go 6-4. That can be hard to do.

If you keep your closers then they at least give you a good fighting chance of getting a win in a category, plus they'll normally help in the ERA and WHIP more consistently. That is they can't get shelled for the same amount of innings as a starter could. A starter going 6 innings and giving up 6 runs hurts more in a way then a closer coming in and giving 2 in one inning pitched. The logic behind that being that it's easier to bring a high ERA from 2 runs down then it is from 6. The same can be said for WHIP of starters and closers. And every starter no matter who he may be WILL get rocked every now and then. Plus they'll probably get hit hard a little more frequently.

I'd stick with what you got going and wouldn't do anything drastic. You're winning anyways right? ;-)

I hope that comes across the way I meant it :-/ ...
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Ender » Sat May 08, 2004 1:10 am

Its ok if you punt saves if your offense is so strong that you can have two big steal guys and win steals every week IMO. There is a team in my league that has done exactly that. He has podsednik and Pierre and its almost a gaurenteed steals win for him every week. He also has thome, piazza, lopez, young etc so he has enough power to be competitive in HR's, RBI even with 2 SB type guys. He has ditched saves completely and plugged in 3 good RP's to help him win whip, era every weak. SB is generally the easiest category to win if you actively go for it.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby JuiceMonkey » Sat May 08, 2004 1:26 am

I have Crawford stealing bases as well as Hunter, A-rod, R White, and even I-Rod.... Luis castillo hasnt done a thing for me. Nobody else I have even attempts SB (maybe Winn).

Very interesting advice, though, much appreciated... but I still havent decided what to do.
-Frank Sinatra
JuiceMonkey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thehat » Sat May 08, 2004 2:41 am

I'd simply take the Schmidt offer and look around for another closer in a deal. Would not punt the category longterm, but getting Schmidt straight up for Benitez is a must take, isn't it?
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers