Michael Young, sell high? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Michael Young, sell high?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GucciBaseballs » Sat May 08, 2004 12:37 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:I never said he stay below the mendoza line, but I will say he will hit .280-.290 this year. This will be a bad year for Jeter imo.

this believe is based on what, 5 weeks of the season. Saying a career 314 hitter will hit 25-35 points below his career average I think requires a little more research than the first 5 weeks of the season :-t

Maybe you have a hunch or something, but I can't find any stats to prove this to me.
"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
- Sir Winston Churchill
GucciBaseballs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jpbusta » Sat May 08, 2004 12:40 pm

I would never give up young for jeter after all young has done. Flat out stupid in my opinion. !+)
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GucciBaseballs » Sat May 08, 2004 12:42 pm

jpbusta wrote:I would never give up young for jeter after all young has done. Flat out stupid in my opinion. !+)

we'll see about that ;-D
"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
- Sir Winston Churchill
GucciBaseballs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GameOn » Sat May 08, 2004 12:50 pm

Jeter is the most overrated fantasy player. When you look at the other shortstops in the league Cabrera and Mike Young will put up similar numbers but both of them were drafted like 10 rounds laters. I think selling mike young is a good idea if you get a great deal for him, like Tejada or Nomar, but I wouldn't pull the trigger for Jeter. Young plays in a better ballpark and I think his average FROM THIS POINT ON will be higher than Jeter's. Anyone that knocks Mike Young obviously hasn't watched this guy bat. He knows how to hit, he's not getting cheap hits and pulling every pitch and swinging for the fences every at bat. He's hitting an insane amount of pitches to right field, he's learned not to try to turn on those outside pitches but to just slap them into right field. And sometimes those slaps into right field will hang and just carry out of the ballpark. All i know is that Mike young has no injury concerns, he plays in one of the best ballparks in the league, he has the best hitting coach helping him, and if you look at his stats over his career they have steadily gotten better and better.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat May 08, 2004 12:53 pm

While Jeter is an ok fantasy shortstop, for Mike Young you could have gotten a better one. I agree with Gameon on every point he made.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jpbusta » Sat May 08, 2004 12:55 pm

GameOn wrote:Jeter is the most overrated fantasy player. When you look at the other shortstops in the league Cabrera and Mike Young will put up similar numbers but both of them were drafted like 10 rounds laters. I think selling mike young is a good idea if you get a great deal for him, like Tejada or Nomar, but I wouldn't pull the trigger for Jeter. Young plays in a better ballpark and I think his average FROM THIS POINT ON will be higher than Jeter's. Anyone that knocks Mike Young obviously hasn't watched this guy bat. He knows how to hit, he's not getting cheap hits and pulling every pitch and swinging for the fences every at bat. He's hitting an insane amount of pitches to right field, he's learned not to try to turn on those outside pitches but to just slap them into right field. And sometimes those slaps into right field will hang and just carry out of the ballpark. All i know is that Mike young has no injury concerns, he plays in one of the best ballparks in the league, he has the best hitting coach helping him, and if you look at his stats over his career they have steadily gotten better and better.

I couldn't have put it any better. Great observation game on. ;-D
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GucciBaseballs » Sat May 08, 2004 12:57 pm

GameOn wrote:Jeter is the most overrated fantasy player. When you look at the other shortstops in the league Cabrera and Mike Young will put up similar numbers but both of them were drafted like 10 rounds laters. I think selling mike young is a good idea if you get a great deal for him, like Tejada or Nomar, but I wouldn't pull the trigger for Jeter. Young plays in a better ballpark and I think his average FROM THIS POINT ON will be higher than Jeter's. Anyone that knocks Mike Young obviously hasn't watched this guy bat. He knows how to hit, he's not getting cheap hits and pulling every pitch and swinging for the fences every at bat. He's hitting an insane amount of pitches to right field, he's learned not to try to turn on those outside pitches but to just slap them into right field. And sometimes those slaps into right field will hang and just carry out of the ballpark. All i know is that Mike young has no injury concerns, he plays in one of the best ballparks in the league, he has the best hitting coach helping him, and if you look at his stats over his career they have steadily gotten better and better.

don't even get me started about Nomar...Your point is not being very objective
- Sir Winston Churchill
GucciBaseballs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat May 08, 2004 12:59 pm

Please, for the love of intelligence, do not say Jeter is better than Nomar. Nomar has Jeter beat in every aspect of the game.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby fastanfurious725 » Sat May 08, 2004 7:46 pm

if jeter hits .270-.280 this year ill draft an all yankee team next year, i dont care if i have to draft AAA players to do it. no way jeter will hit that after a start like this. i guess i was a little quick to say i would drop a player like jeter this early but that kind of slump is hard to come back from. jeters shoulder is in no way 100% healthy. if you think his shoulder is back to normal you're way to optimistic. jeter hasnt been getting around on the ball well. his shoulder is limiting his bat speed and hes rarely getting his hips around on the ball. jeters going to have to hit well over .300 the rest of the year to get his average up to .270-.280. at this point, i wouldnt trade jeter for a long list of middle infielders.
fastanfurious725
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby GucciBaseballs » Sat May 08, 2004 7:51 pm

fastanfurious725 wrote:if jeter hits .270-.280 this year ill draft an all yankee team next year, i dont care if i have to draft AAA players to do it. no way jeter will hit that after a start like this. i guess i was a little quick to say i would drop a player like jeter this early but that kind of slump is hard to come back from. jeters shoulder is in no way 100% healthy. if you think his shoulder is back to normal you're way to optimistic. jeter hasnt been getting around on the ball well. his shoulder is limiting his bat speed and hes rarely getting his hips around on the ball. jeters going to have to hit well over .300 the rest of the year to get his average up to .270-.280. at this point, i wouldnt trade jeter for a long list of middle infielders.

I think have a little bit more perspective on Jeter being that I live in the NY area. His shoulder is fine, and he hit over 300 with it last year. And your point about him hitting over 300 is exactly what I've been saying all along. That is exactly why it is a good time to get him, because it is unlikely that he will hit under 300 being he is a career 314 hitter. Therefore one must assume he has a lot of hits coming his way.
- Sir Winston Churchill
GucciBaseballs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers