Saving Innings Strategy; Yea or Nay? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Saving Innings Strategy; Yea or Nay?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Saving Innings Strategy; Yea or Nay?

Postby Kelly Gruber » Fri May 07, 2004 5:03 pm

I play in a league with an inning max, and I see almost everybody is projected to go 20-40 innings over the limit by pitching guys like Brad Radke (in a 7-team league!). I'm doing the opposite. Right now I'm running a 4-man rotation (Unit, Schmidt, Clement, Oliver Perez) and saving up innings (Prior's on my DL!). Should I keep doing this and eventually get pitchers cheaply from guys that are worried about reaching the limit early? If I have to, should I start picking up favourable matchups every day in August and September?

I like this because I'm 3rd in the standings but would easily be in 1st if I had used the same amount of innings as everyone else. This way, people don't percieve me as a threat (yet) to win.

What do you think?
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Fri May 07, 2004 5:07 pm

I prefer to be on pace or even a bit over. You never know when one of your aces will go on the DL. With 2 pitchers over 40, you are in the "high risk" area.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby BGbootha » Fri May 07, 2004 5:07 pm

I would agree with your strategy, especially with prior on the DL. Lay low, and conserve those innings. Odds are most of the other owners will do the math and realize this sometime right after the all-star break maybe a little later.

Once this happens you may be able to pick up some key players late in the year, and have more quality innings pitched.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kelly Gruber » Fri May 07, 2004 5:11 pm

bleach168 wrote:I prefer to be on pace or even a bit over. You never know when one of your aces will go on the DL. With 2 pitchers over 40, you are in the "high risk" area.

True. I only have 1 old pitcher; I have Clement, not Clemens ;-)

My pitchers are doing awesome so far (204 K in 196 IP) so I'm very happy, especially because strikeouts are 2 points each (a win is 17 points).

Thanx for the advice :-)
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KULCAT » Fri May 07, 2004 8:00 pm

Ive been running the rotation strategy for 5 years and everytime ive seen people go for the max early they sunk into obvivion in September
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers