Online Computer Games - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Online Computer Games

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Online Computer Games

Postby bucsfan04 » Fri May 07, 2004 4:41 pm

I was wondering if anyone could tell what their favorite online shooter game (UT 2004, Battlefield Vietnam, etc.) is and why. I wanna get one, and i'm having trouble deciding which. Please include stuff like lserver-lag and how much sapce it takes up on your comp. Thanks!
bucsfan04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jeffc_76 » Fri May 07, 2004 4:56 pm

Well, I'm not answering your question but my favorite online game of all time was Quake II. That game did irreparable damage to my GPA back in college. I was truly addicted to it and it didn't help that I was damn good at it. Those were fun times. I've played other games since but nothing's come close to the excitement I got out of that game. Every now and then I'll log onto a server and play a little but it just isn't the same anymore. The only people that still play it are the true die hards and I'm out of practice now. Part of the fun, for a good player, was the huge disparity the game allowed between the really skilled players and everyone else (i.e. it was nearly impossible for a weak player to take down a strong one, even once in a while) and people would get so frustrated, but for a couple years, there was just an endless supply of them for my railgun.........
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Fri May 07, 2004 6:07 pm

I bought a copy of Quake II back in the day, and I wasn't disappointed. A couple of my friends were VERY good at it, and one guy I know won a huge tournament. I'm not sure if it was international or not, it could have been just the best of Canada I'm not sure, but he got tons of free Quake II stuff.

C&C: Red Alert is my favourite online game of all-time. As for games that have recently been released, I can't help ya. Sorry.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby EK711 » Sat May 08, 2004 12:42 am

I know it's also very irrelevant as well, but Diablo II had a patch that came out last November.... I was playing it till this February nonstop on Battlenet... :*)
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby jeffc_76 » Sat May 08, 2004 12:55 am

Red Alert was another game I really liked to play online but (and this will sound silly) it was too intense to play online as often as I did Quake II. It required non-stop attention to every detail and quick on the fly adjustment to your enemy's moves against you. It was very nerve wracking. Some opponents (actually a lot of them) were push overs but the occasional smart one could force you into a stalemate for a couple hours. There were a lot of different strategies and every human opponent was a little bit different. Definitely my favorite real time strategy game of all time. I haven't liked any of the ones that have come out since nearly as much. Red Alert seemed to have the perfect level of complexity.

btw, I don't follow the gaming news nearly as much as I used to but I believe Doom 3 is expected out this year. I'll have to check it out and if it is nearly as good as Quake II, I can see myself falling off the wagon again.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby EK711 » Sat May 08, 2004 1:39 am

jeffc_76 wrote:btw, I don't follow the gaming news nearly as much as I used to but I believe Doom 3 is expected out this year. I'll have to check it out and if it is nearly as good as Quake II, I can see myself falling off the wagon again.

Last I heard it was supposed to be out relatively soon, but I bet it got pushed back. No way I wouldn't have been hearing the anticipation from some of my friends if it were going to be out in the next three months. Hasn't ID been spending eons working on this thing? If it's worth the wait then it's time to start saving up for a new video card so I can play games again some year :-[ .

I still find it so hard to pay half of my computers total worth for such a small piece of hardware :-P .
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Pedantic » Sat May 08, 2004 2:22 am

I don't believe Doom 3 is going to be a shooter. Not positive though.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby jeffc_76 » Sat May 08, 2004 3:45 am

From what I read (and it wasn't a ton), Doom III will have single player campaign, unlike their last game, Quake III Arena. It will also have a multiplayer game with several maps but it sounded like it will be a different style of multiplayer than what we're used to from the Quake series. Slower paced, less chaotic, more strategic. They said the maps bundled with it will only support 4 player matches, although future maps and mods could support more. The thing that I didn't like was a report that they will be disabling the ability to "strafe left" and "strafe right". I don't think Doom I or II had it and in the Quake series, it allowed for quickly circling around your opponent while unloading all sorts of nasties in his general direction :-D . I read that Doom III will only have a "strafe on / strafe off" mode (usually right mouse button) which still makes side stepping possible but makes it much more cumbersome and basically impossible to do the circling maneuver. I hope they change their minds and put it in there.

EK711 wrote:If it's worth the wait then it's time to start saving up for a new video card so I can play games again some year :-[

yea, not good. I still have a GeForce2 MX card which is probably several years old now. I don't even know what the standard is these days but I'm sure it blows this thing away.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jumpman8288 » Sat May 08, 2004 2:00 pm

EK711 wrote:I know it's also very irrelevant as well, but Diablo II had a patch that came out last November.... I was playing it till this February nonstop on Battlenet... :*)

Why'd you stop? I love D2 :-D
[URL=http://http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7158944067217702636&q=new+born+muse]MUSE ROCK[/URL]
jumpman8288
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby EK711 » Sat May 08, 2004 2:06 pm

jumpman8288 wrote:
EK711 wrote:I know it's also very irrelevant as well, but Diablo II had a patch that came out last November.... I was playing it till this February nonstop on Battlenet... :*)

Why'd you stop? I love D2 :-D

Okay here's where my supergeekdom comes into play. When I say I played it I mean a lot. I had a decked out hammerdin (enigma, HOTO), and it just lost it's appeal. I made almost every character imaginable, and just waltzed through 8 player hell games. I actually obtained everything LEGIT too, which I am very proud of :-D . Elemental Grand Charm (from a drop) with 39 Life for Jah, and SOJO (from Andariel NM) for Ber to get the enigma.... Sure the runes were probably dupes that I traded for, but that's why I didn't leave the game to make the Enigma. AFter I got that the rest was gravy ;-D .

Boy do I feel like a geek after this post :-b , but if/when D3 ever comes out it will occupy most of my time. I wish Blizzard would actually talk about what they have and don't have in the works more often.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to General Talk