Classic Bonds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Classic Bonds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Fri May 07, 2004 5:25 pm

So because the Mets were excited to see the best player in Baseball, that cancels out all the negativity in the media? Gimme a break. They should be positive about him coming. But that's the exception, not the rule. You guys enjoy your "role model" players who say what you want to hear, and sugar coat everything.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Fri May 07, 2004 5:29 pm

Absolutely. I will always enjoy a class act over a punk despite the talent differential.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri May 07, 2004 5:29 pm

davus wrote:He gets dogged about roids because he is such an A-hole to everyone that it makes everybody want to see him fall.

Plain and simple. He is a grade-A jag. If I could change the course of history I would give his skills and talents to just about anybody in baseball other than him.

Exactly. That's why he doesn't get respect from me. He's a great hitter yes, but as one of the best players in history he should represent baseball in a positive way and try to bring baseball back to the number 1 game. He should want to be a difference-maker in the game instead of contributing to the problem.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Fri May 07, 2004 5:45 pm

Bonds can think he's the best, and that's fine with me. He can walk around with a chip on his shoulder, and that's fine with me. He can even brag about what he's going to do and that's fine with me.

Yes, I do think he should tell people how it is and speak up if something is misreported or just flat out wrong, but there is a big difference in speaking someone's mind and acting like a child that lost his pacifier. I'm not suggesting that he sugar coat anything either. Whatever point he wants to make can be made like an adult and with a little bit of class and respect. (sorry Wrveres) :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Fri May 07, 2004 5:52 pm

the sad part .....

I just went and read about four different "angles" of this interview, and it was blatetnly obvious that he was "Joking"

He rambled on about the NBA and some comedian too ...
But the 'Press' that just loves him so much failed to leave all of that out and focus there attention on just a few comments, that were seriouslly taken out of context !!! ....

Imagine that ;-7 <----
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby mtarail » Sat May 08, 2004 2:08 am

slappinSingles wrote:Sumthin ain't stirrin the kool aid. The man is a lifetime .298 hitter. He never had more than 50 home runs till 2001 when he belts 73!!!!?? True, he had been a great hitter but comon???!!! Something gave this guy the jolt. There is noooo way he hasn't taken 'roids.

Interesting. I actually thought it had something to do with the move from Candlestick--one of the worst hitters parks of all-time--to Pacbell/SBC, which, although still a hitters park is friendlier than Candlestick and unlike Candlestick is protected from the wind on the north and west by skyscrapers and hills. But I guess it's the rhoids.

Loiaza and Marcus Giles must be on them too, since they never had a year anything like 2003. As a matter of fact, any time someone does something completely unexpected I plan to accuse them of rhoids. ;-)
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sat May 08, 2004 2:12 am

I think this thread is on 'roids. :-b
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtarail » Sat May 08, 2004 2:19 am

Amazinz wrote:I think this thread is on 'roids. :-b

I've been acting wierd. I might be. :*)
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby waffle_prince » Sat May 08, 2004 2:23 am

I must say, whether Bonds is a jerk or not, I wish I were lucky enough to have met him and known him personally like those of you who discuss your opinions of the man. Everyone has such a strong opinion on his personality. I know I would never judge someone unless I had at least spent some time around him in person, but more power to you guys.

I would also add how pleased I am with the contributions this thread has made to my knowledge of fantasy baseball.
"Funny. You like samurai swords . . . I like baseball."
waffle_prince
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby hybrid » Sat May 08, 2004 3:49 am

why if you dislike bonds do you even go out of your way to talk about him? you know you have talked about him for countless hours and still do. then you go out of your way to post certain quotes w/ out having the whole articles. any of those statements could of easily been taken out of context.

and as for acting like an adult..umm huh? are you living in the same country as me? i think a lot of so called adults don't act w/ any respect. we have huge corporations taking money from people, basically screwing people over, etc. but bonds doesn't have any respect and doesn't act like an adult? to say someone doesn't act like an adult is subjective even right there. he respects what he wants to and says what he wants to, why cause he is an adult and can do that.

maybe some of you should act like so called adults and get over it already, unless you aren't. this thread reads like a gossip note of some kind were we are going to pick on betty or someone. your telling him to grow up, so maybe you should follow your own advice and stop having the weekly "lets try to find something bad about bonds thread".

also maybe i'm out of line but isn't this the fantasy baseball forum? don't think i saw one thing that would make this the place to post it.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers