Classic Bonds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Classic Bonds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Classic Bonds

Postby Amazinz » Fri May 07, 2004 3:41 pm

Here's some more classic Bonds from last nights game at Shea. These are excerpts from a NY Post article.

Concerning sports writers:
SportsCenter will be empty when I'm gone.

Sports writers will all lose their jobs when I'm gone becuase they'll have nothing to write about.

Concerning IBBs:
Getting walked is harder than hitting.

Concerning Spidey:
They can have [bleeping] dog-poo as bases so I have to step in [bleep] as far as I'm concerned. What the hell.

When asked if the game had lost its innocence, one writer pointing to the '69 Mets jumping in childlike exuberance, Bonds responded, "What kid did you see in '69? I thought they were grown-[bleeping] men out there."

He did take umbrage when one reporter characterized Leiter as having had "success" against him.

"He's had success against me? You must be smoking Kool-Aid," said Bonds, now 9-for-30 against Leiter. "What success have you been reading? I don't fear no pitcher, dog."

When asked if he might walk 200 times this year - he has 46 already - he asked, "You got a crystal ball up your rear end? Nobody knows what's going to happen, dude. You can't predict the future. If you could, I would've won a ton of money on the Marlins."

Luckily this guy can hit because I think he's too dumb to do anything else. !+)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Fri May 07, 2004 3:52 pm

He puts up with a lot of shit, is the best player in baseball, and gets no repsect. I can't blame him for lashing out once in a while.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Fri May 07, 2004 3:55 pm

LBJackal wrote:He puts up with a lot of shit, is the best player in baseball, and gets no repsect. I can't blame him for lashing out once in a while.

Well I disagree with him putting up with a lot of stuff. The media promotes and respects him like none other save Jordan. Maybe if he'd show a little humility every once in awhile he'd have a better rep. Just my $.02.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Fri May 07, 2004 3:59 pm

You're saying he's the most respected player in baseball history? HA! Just because he doesn't sugar-coat everything and say what eveyrbody wants to hear doens't make him a bad person. He puts up with more than he should have to. I respect him more for being himself rather than trying to appeal to other people. I know nobody else will, but ignorance is bliss. You guys can join the Barry haters bandwagon.
Last edited by LBJackal on Fri May 07, 2004 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bell » Fri May 07, 2004 4:00 pm

Amazinz wrote:Well I disagree with him putting up with a lot of stuff. The media promotes and respects him like none other save Jordan. Maybe if he'd show a little humility every once in awhile he'd have a better rep. Just my $.02.

Respects? The same media that has persecuted him for steroids?
Last edited by bell on Fri May 07, 2004 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jeffc_76 » Fri May 07, 2004 4:00 pm

He's a "what you see is what you get" kind of guy. In my book, that counts for something, even if I might not agree with everything he says.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Fri May 07, 2004 4:02 pm

jeffc_76 wrote:He's a "what you see is what you get" kind of guy. In my book, that counts for something, even if I might not agree with everything he says.

Well said.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with a guy who has a Yankee avatar and a George W. Bush sig pic. But stranger things have happened.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Fri May 07, 2004 4:24 pm

Amazinz wrote:The media promotes and respects him like none other save Jordan

ROFLMAO ...

we must be talking about somebody else other than Barry ....

No way in the world you said that with a straight face

;-7 <--- for the future, this is the toungue in cheek avatar, so we all know where you are coming from .... :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby slappinSingles » Fri May 07, 2004 4:36 pm

OOOOHHHH comon. He puts up with a lot of crap??? Yeah, I'll trade with him anyday. Nice big ass lazy boy in the locker room, tons of money. I FEEL SOOOOO BAD for him. He has it so rough! He's an ungrateful azz. How can the press not ask him about the 'roids??? Damn Prim Donna.
slappinSingles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri May 07, 2004 4:45 pm

I didn't see those comments but they look more jackass-like than some of the other things I've criticized him for. Being an MLB player includes talking to the media. Every player wearing a uniform has to deal with it. Yeah maybe he has it a little rougher because of the roid scandal but none of those questions were even related to it in any way. :-t
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers