how do YOU handle absurd trade requests??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

how do YOU handle absurd trade requests???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby osb » Sat May 08, 2004 1:46 am

mtarail wrote:
osb wrote:in one of my leagues, the guy with what i think is the weakest team keeps sending me horrible offers... i simply reject and tell him that i'd rather not, but i'll listen to anything he has to say... either that or just shoot back an offer for his best player in exchange for one of my worst... usually they'll get the message

Give me the initials of the team you're talking about. I think we might be in the same league.

the team is S L and his initials are S M...
osb
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: somewhere in the hillbilly land of southwest Virginia

Postby thehat » Sat May 08, 2004 2:35 am

Much of the time guys who make such ridiculous proposals are just not very knowledgeable. They are the perfect managers to use the "buy low, sell high" ploy with.

Best advice from an old pro: Reject the trade (duh) and tell him thanks for the offer. Tell him this one doesn't quite work for your team, but that there should be something else worth pursuing later on.

In other words, play the guy for the sucker that he probably is and screw the daylights out of him in another deal down the road.

Rip him privately or publicly, and you might end up screwing yourself in the long run.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Sat May 08, 2004 2:38 am

slomo007 wrote:I don't take them seriously, I just reject it. If it's really really really bad, I usually offer my worst player for his best player, just to give him an idea of what I thought ;-) . Don't take things so seriously, your life will be much happier.

I had a guy offer me Alomar for Soriano before Alomar broke his hand. I countered him with Kearns for Bonds. Told him if he'd do that then I'd accept his deal. Neither deal was done needless to say. But so far this year I havent had a serious offer from anyone. And every offer I've made has been rejected. And I'm tied for last place. And since i cant get any trades going it looks like I'm not gonna be going anywhere.

What does bug me is that when I offer people trades for someone and they reject it, then a couple of days later they just cut him and pick up some scrub when I usually offer them something better than they picked up. Case in point.. I offered a guy who was shopping Burrell. He said he wanted a solid pitcher. I offered him his choice of L.Hernandez,Milton,Eaton,J.Williams, or Rhodes. He rejected all of them and wound up getting rid of him for FA pickup.. Steve Trachsel. And im last on WW. So I still coudlnt get him!
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers