how do YOU handle absurd trade requests??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

how do YOU handle absurd trade requests???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BGbootha » Fri May 07, 2004 4:12 pm

i don't really feel the need to burn a bridge, odds are that manager will come across you trade needs again. And again, if the guy is going to make you an offer like that then maybe he is dumb enough to give you a good trade later.

usually what i do and it works every now and again. is offer the guy something back that is grossly in your favor, but probably wouldn't be seen as obsurd or a cut on him. Every now and again, they will accept, but usually it leads to talks were i end up getting the better end of the deal. I mean if he is dumb enough to make an offer that bad, then he should be happy when he gets three shiny pennies for his one wrinkly $5 bill.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Zito is God » Fri May 07, 2004 4:53 pm

I either reject or counter. Also other owners might have thought that you have given up on AROD, as some have, and were willing to trade him for a blossoming pitcher.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davus » Fri May 07, 2004 5:09 pm

I just let the offer sit there for a week or two...that usually pisses people off without making it LOOK like you're tryign to do that. ;-D
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Krunk City King$ » Fri May 07, 2004 5:30 pm

davus wrote:I just let the offer sit there for a week or two...that usually pisses people off without making it LOOK like you're tryign to do that. ;-D

:-D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stratusfactionrt » Fri May 07, 2004 6:40 pm

davus wrote:I just let the offer sit there for a week or two...that usually pisses people off without making it LOOK like you're tryign to do that. ;-D

Ditto. I leave it there as long as they don't cancel it. Then if one of my players in the offer suddenly gets seriously injured or something, I quickly accept it. :-D
stratusfactionrt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warrick95 » Fri May 07, 2004 8:13 pm

$ league...I just tell the owner why, usually courteously.

In my non-$ leagues where I play with fools or people I don't know (public) I post something on the message board condemning them.

By the way, I proposed Graves for Rhodes to somebody...rejected, then I sent an e-mail asking if Rhodes was available for something else. That's not an unfair trade right (it is buy low/sell high, but Rhodes is risky)...did I piss somebody off?
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtarail » Fri May 07, 2004 9:46 pm

That's not unfair, as a matter of fact I'd rather have Graves than Rhodes anyday.

But back to the subject, there's a guy that has a pathetic trade offer for me on at least 2 days of the week. I laugh at him and ridicule him in the rejections, but the trade offers keep coming. (For awhile I was wondering if he was secretly hoping that by doing this I might accidentally hit the "accept" instead of the "reject" button. Usually I either reject it or counter-offer with something even more pathetic but in my favor. Maybe I'll follow some other people's advice and not respond at all just to piss the guy off. I've already tried reasonable offers with the guy but he'll only do deals in which he screws the other guy. For example, he recently traded Dunn, Kearns (right before the injury) and Kolb for Jeter and Abreu. I was the only person in the league to veto that nonsense.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby osb » Fri May 07, 2004 9:54 pm

in one of my leagues, the guy with what i think is the weakest team keeps sending me horrible offers... i simply reject and tell him that i'd rather not, but i'll listen to anything he has to say... either that or just shoot back an offer for his best player in exchange for one of my worst... usually they'll get the message
osb
College Coach
College Coach

Location: somewhere in the hillbilly land of southwest Virginia

Postby mtarail » Fri May 07, 2004 9:56 pm

osb wrote:in one of my leagues, the guy with what i think is the weakest team keeps sending me horrible offers... i simply reject and tell him that i'd rather not, but i'll listen to anything he has to say... either that or just shoot back an offer for his best player in exchange for one of my worst... usually they'll get the message

Give me the initials of the team you're talking about. I think we might be in the same league.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RoxSox8 » Sat May 08, 2004 12:29 am

I have employed all of the methods listed above, like waiting for them to pull the trade, or rejecting it immediately without comment. If I think the trade is reasonable, but I don't want to do it, I will explain it too them. Like when somebody tried to trade me Sheffield, Overbay and Jeter for Pujols and Renteria. As a Sox fan I have a no Yankees rule.
I'm not Mr. Lebowski man, I'm the Dude.

Red Sox Fan
Rockies Fan
RoxSox8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers