how do YOU handle absurd trade requests??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

how do YOU handle absurd trade requests???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

how do YOU handle absurd trade requests???

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Fri May 07, 2004 12:15 pm

Just curious how people handle it when someone makes them an insane trade offer.... I just inquired as to what someone would want for carlos Zambrano and was offered him straight up for A-rod......

Do you take this type thing as a slap in the face?

do you think the other owner A)thinks your an idiot? or B)just hopes you are? or C)is one himself?

Anyone have a strategy for taking advantage of these type owners? I don't think there IS one but maybe someone out there does.

My first reaction is usually to laugh...

then i get pissed, and it takes all my willpower not to respond in kind......then i chill out, just shake my head, and wonder if they will get some other idiot in the league to bite on such an offer.

INK
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Fri May 07, 2004 12:21 pm

It doesn't bother me, really. I usually just counter with a slightly less absurd trade request. Rarely but sometimes it actually results in a trade being made a few absurd trade offers down the road. :-b
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Fri May 07, 2004 12:23 pm

I don't take them seriously, I just reject it. If it's really really really bad, I usually offer my worst player for his best player, just to give him an idea of what I thought ;-) . Don't take things so seriously, your life will be much happier.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Fri May 07, 2004 12:40 pm

It could be that he hopes that you're an idiot or it could be that he just wants to get talks started. Some people also won't deal unless they are convinced that they rip you off. Personally, if I get a terrible offer, I don't even counter. If it's close, then I will.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri May 07, 2004 1:05 pm

I agree with sentiments mentioned earlier: don't take it too seriously, and for kicks sometimes I do the worst/best player trade to get the message across (especially if they've tried repeatedly).

What I always do, though, is add a note saying why the trade wouldn't work. I hate straight up rejections when I honestly think the trade is fair. If you think it's not fair, say why. If you don't want to move a certain player, just mention it so you won't be bugged about them again. It just deters some of the mystery involved.

But of course, you don't have to. Maybe you like being mysterious...
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 110)

Postby dannahann » Fri May 07, 2004 1:06 pm

Maybe my take is slanted because I play in private keeper leagues, but responding in kind just to show you were pissed pretty much 'locks' a potential trade door. I normally try to strike up a constructive dialouge where we honestly assess our needs and often end up will a beneficial deal out of the process. If not immediately, then almost certainly down the road when that guy actually needs a trade, and very few 'open' doors are available to him B-)
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 66)

Postby PeskyTheGoat » Fri May 07, 2004 1:27 pm

I must say, I really dislike getting the best player for worst player offer in a "payback" way. I recently received an offer of Ramon Martinez for Manny and Mariano Rivera because the GM thought my offer of Valverde for V. Wells was preposterous. In that case, the guy said he wanted a closer and because of the league settings I have Wells rated at the value of a mid-level closer. He obviously uses a different valuation method, one that is wrong in my opinion given the league rules. In any event, even if my offer stunk, why not take the concept of a closer for an outfielder and work with that? He could have said I don't like Valverde, but I do like Rivera, how about Rivera for Wells. In any event, if you must do the "payback" trade offer, please make sure there is no angle under which the trade could be viewed as reasonable. People can and do value players differently. In addition, the payback offer does nothing to foster good relations in the league, so why do it?
PeskyTheGoat
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri May 07, 2004 1:38 pm

I just laugh then counter with my worst guy for his best usually, and try to make it seem like it really helps both teams. :-D
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby stomperrob » Fri May 07, 2004 4:03 pm

If it's a rookie who doesn't know what he's doing, I explain to him why it's not a fair trade and counter if I'm interested
If it's someone trying to see if I'm a rookie and screw me out of a good player, I counter by offering my worst player for 8 or 10 of his best players.
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri May 07, 2004 4:07 pm

dannahann wrote:Maybe my take is slanted because I play in private keeper leagues, but responding in kind just to show you were pissed pretty much 'locks' a potential trade door. I normally try to strike up a constructive dialouge where we honestly assess our needs and often end up will a beneficial deal out of the process. If not immediately, then almost certainly down the road when that guy actually needs a trade, and very few 'open' doors are available to him B-)

I agree. Don't burn bridges... try to negotiate. If it doesn't work, just pull out gracefully. You want to be around when that guy is stumbling and is willing to do the trade you want.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers