Lineup Shakeups: Overrated - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lineup Shakeups: Overrated

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bell » Fri May 07, 2004 3:48 pm

I think moving Finley from lead-off to the fifth spot is another good example that rearranging line-ups are done for a reason and are not overrated.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Fri May 07, 2004 4:20 pm

I used to bat leadoff for my team, despite being the slowest runner, so me getting on base was key. When I splumped, I was put at 7th or something, which pissed me off. It's not like it relieved some pressure, because they'd be telling me to make all these adjustments, and carefully analyzed everything I was doing. For me, I would have rather had them let me work it out myself (partially because I know more about hitting than my coaches do, adn they were only trying to change my style for the sake of change). Don't bring undue attention is my view. Maybe for some guys moving them in the order would help, but I think it made me stay in the slump. For some people, I guess they feel they have something to prove, so they try harder. But if you're not trying your hardest all the time, then there's already a problem. This is part of the reason why I don't respect "clutch" players like Kobe Bryant. If they can be that good in the last 5 minutes of a game, they should be that good all the time.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby G-Man » Fri May 07, 2004 8:04 pm

LBJackal wrote: It's not like it relieved some pressure, because they'd be telling me to make all these adjustments, and carefully analyzed everything I was doing. For me, I would have rather had them let me work it out myself (partially because I know more about hitting than my coaches do, adn they were only trying to change my style for the sake of change). Don't bring undue attention is my view.

I can imagine....once a guy is perceivably "slumping", EVERYONE becomes an expert and has some advice on what to do. I absolutely agree with lineup changes to optimize output (such as a guy who was originally slated to hit at the bottom of the order but is red hot and is thus moved up) but I still hesitate to buy into the individual psyche of offensive output being predicated on your spot in the lineup. Thanks for the feedback Jackal ;-D
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers