The Team to Beat - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

The Team to Beat

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

The Team to Beat

Postby Arlo » Fri May 07, 2004 7:29 am

Time for another team analysis - following Mookie's lead, the Cafe's biggest Barry Zito fan provides us with the second article in this series, and surprisingly, it's not about Oakland.

Glen Shikunov, familiar to all forum regulars as Zito is God, instead focuses on
San Diego, a team who could sneak up on a lot of people this season. Thanks to greater experience and solid offseason moves, the Padres are coming together nicely. Are they the Team to Beat? Glen thinks they just might be... ;-D

Next up in this series: Amazinz' amazing analysis of the New York Mets! And hopefully, a few more folks will jump in and offer thoughts on their own favorite teams. Pull up a keyboard and contribute!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KPucks » Sat May 08, 2004 10:25 am

Just one question: Did wrveres pay you to write this? :-D

But really, good article. The Padres could get to the postseason this year with their solid lineup and pitching, which benefits a lot from the new park.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Zito is God » Sat May 08, 2004 12:02 pm

Just one question: Did wrveres pay you to write this?

Not yet, we still haven't figuired out the amount on the bill. :-D

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Mon May 10, 2004 1:15 am

Nice read. ;-D

I'm a little surprised that Otsuka wasn't mentioned :-? .

3 wins, 1 save, 17 k's in 17 innings, 1.06 era, 0.71 whip. Very nice pickup for the Padres and is paying some good dividends so far. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Amazinz » Mon May 10, 2004 3:31 pm

Great article. ;-D I agree I think the Padres are a team to beat that no one (except people here at the Cafe) are talking about. Not sure why they don't get more respect but I think they'll be getting some by the end of the year.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 10, 2004 5:32 pm

I must be the crazy one, but I don't see the Padres as "the team to beat." I read the article and agree with parts, but Peavy needs a couple more years, and Wells, Giles, and Klesko need a couple less years.

A ton of people were picking SD to be the "surprise team" of the year, and frankly I just don't agree. I like the D'Backs in their division, assuming Sexson comes back healthy in a decent amount of time. They have proven pitching, and Fossum is going to give them an end of the rotation sleeper. Valverde is a new solid closer, and perhaps Mantei will even settle into the setup role (but I doubt it). The Padres and D'Backs will be pretty close, but I see Arizona finishing slightly ahead.

Good article though, I'm not bashing it by any means.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Mon May 10, 2004 6:44 pm

I don't think they are the team to beat in the NL but I do think they are the team to beat in the West. IMO I don't see SF, ARI or COL vying for that division. I think it will come down to SD and LA.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Boys In Blue » Mon May 10, 2004 7:18 pm

First off, I'm a Dodgers fan who lives in San Diego and follows the Pads and I am delighted to see their revamped roster.

I agree with others that the Padres are hardly "the team to beat" but they are VASTLY improved over previous years. I think if LA keeps making contact then they'll come out on top but there's no doubting that the division is up for grabs, particularly amongst these two teams.

The problems the Pads are facing now could be a sign of things to come. Can Klesko and Nevin return to their form of previous years AND stay healthy? Both are power batters who have expressed discontent in Petco Park (which sure is pretty but the way things are run inside suck... long delays and where is the darn restroom???).

The biggest problem is their starting pitching. Great young arms in Peavy, Lawrence, and Eaton but how long can they keep it up. If Wells and Hitchcock can put up quality outings, then they will be tough on the mound, but I hardly think Ismael Valdes should be starting for anyone other than the Newark Bears. YOU FORGOT OTSUKA! Looks like he'll do more for the team than the absent Rod Beck this year. What a great pickup by them.
Boys In Blue
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Article Discussions