Grady Sizemore - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Grady Sizemore

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Grady Sizemore

Postby EK711 » Fri May 07, 2004 3:09 am

I've watched the kid play a fair amount on dollar hot dog nights so why not post a little about him? I'm sure those of you that regularly troll minor league reports already know about him, I'll try to keep regular tabs on this thread though ;-) . Here's the Baseball America digs to start off with:

Drafted: HS–Everett, Wash., 2000 (3rd round)
Signed by: Scott Goldby (Expos)

Background: Sizemore was considered the third-best prospect in the trade that brought him from Montreal to Cleveland for Bartolo Colon in mid-2002. Since switching organizations, Sizemore has eclipsed infielder Brandon Phillips and lefty Cliff Lee, who came with him from the Expos, and established that he has a higher ceiling than anyone in the system. A high school quarterback who signed a letter of intent with Washington after being recruited by several other Pacific-10 Conference schools, Sizemore gave up football to sign for $2 million. He’s a high-energy, intense competitor who draws comparisons to other football-to-baseball converts such as Kirk Gibson. Sizemore looks like he made the right decision. In 2003, he led Indians minor leaguers in runs and hits, topped the Double-A Eastern League in triples and was named MVP of the Futures Game. He hit .412 as Akron won the EL playoffs, then batted third for Team USA at the Olympic qualifying tournament in November.

Strengths: It has been a long time since a player with this many tools has emerged from the Indians system. Sizemore has the full package, the potential to be a marquee player, and is as close to being an untouchable as the Indians have in their minor league system. He uses the entire field and controls the strike zone well, projecting as a .300 hitter in the majors. His power is coming quicker than expected, as he stroked 13 homers last year after totaling six in his first three seasons. There’s a lot more to come, as he was an EL all-star at the tender age of 20. Sizemore’s speed and center-field range are well-above-average. He’s quick out of the batter’s box and has tremendous baserunning instincts. He’s still learning the art of basestealing but should become at least a 20-20 player as he matures. Along with all his physical skills, Sizemore also has off-the-charts makeup. He’s an aggressive, blue-collar player with a tremendous desire to succeed.

Weaknesses: There are few flaws in Sizemore’s overall game. His arm grades as a 35 on the 20-80 scouting scale, though it’s playable in center field. He compensates by getting to balls and unloading them quickly. Sizemore’s walk rate declined in 2003, though it was still respectable. That seems to be the tradeoff, at least at first, for the increase in power. After succeeding on just 57 percent of his steal attempts the last two years, he must improve his reads and jumps.

The Future: Sizemore isn’t far from being major league-ready at age 21. With a surplus of young outfielders on the major league roster, the Indians have no need to push him and he’ll start 2004 as the center fielder in Triple-A Buffalo. He should make his big league debut at some point during the season.

TEAM...........G...AB..R...H.....2B.3B HR RBI BB SO SB AVG OBP SLG
Akron (AA) 128 496 96 151 26 11 13 78 46 73 10 .304 .373 .480
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EK711 » Fri May 07, 2004 3:20 am

This years stats at AAA Buffalo so far as of 5/4 according to MinorLeagueBaseball.com:

AVG..G..AB..R...H..RBI 2B 3B HR BB SO SB CS
.267 25 90 14 24 17 . 6 . 3 . 2 15 . 12. 3 . 2

NOTE: I threw the dots in to make the stat line more readable.... I hope it should be obvious, but the only real one is for avg ;-) If only the Cafe Boards would trust me on wanting those spaces!
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby ensanimal » Fri May 07, 2004 11:11 am

Good job EK ;-D

Too bad not many other people seem to come here.
Keep up the good work :-)
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby EK711 » Fri May 07, 2004 1:45 pm

Here's a blurb that I thought was of interest on how highly the Indians think of their entire young OF prospects, plus I like some Milton bashing even if he does appear to have his head on straight now ;-) .

The Akron Beacon Journal wrote: According to a Tribe operative, it was manager Eric Wedge who insisted that Milton Bradley be traded, although the front office didn't need much convincing. Wedge let Bradley sit out several exhibition games, work in the batting cage and take spring at his own pace. He just asked the outfielder to hustle on the field. That started the blowup.

• Had Bradley simply apologized after he failed to run out a pop-up Wednesday, he might still be here. It was the confrontation with Wedge, followed by Bradley's decision to bolt in the middle of the game and spend $67 to take a cab back to his spring apartment.

• The front office and manager also saw how Alex Escobar and Coco Crisp hustled all spring and produced. Crisp actually led the team in RBI, and he was ticketed to the minors. The wealth of young outfielers -- Ryan Ludwick, Grady Sizemore, Jody Gerut, Crisp and Escobar made the decision to trade Bradley easier.

• So did Bradley's injury history. Four trips to the disabled list in two years, missing 120 games. Of course, Bradley is only 25, enormously talented and very driven. He could go somewhere and become a star just as easily as he could self-destruct and/or get hurt. No one can be sure what Bradley will do.

The Indians believe that a year from now, Sizemore could be their best outfielder. Even if they trade Matt Lawton, they think with Crisp, Escobar, Sizemore, Gerut and Ludwick, they'll have an excellent outfield.

I just hope that if/when all of these guys start to blossom they know who to hold on to and who to test the trade market with. I plan on updating this thread probably about once a week from here on out.... Who knows ensanimal, maybe others will pop in and decide to toss somebody up here as well. ;-D
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Oat Soda » Sun May 09, 2004 5:18 am

EK711 wrote:Who knows ensanimal, maybe others will pop in and decide to toss somebody up here as well. ;-D

I can't believe this forum goes as unused as it does. I would think rabid fantasy baseball owners would be all over the up-and-comers. Who knows?

Anyway, to contribute, Sizemore was 2 for 5 Friday with a K and a caught stealing. I'm still awaiting word on last night.
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby EK711 » Sun May 09, 2004 4:46 pm

0-4 on saturday with 2k's :-/ .

That puts Grady's season avg. at .250 with 6 doubles 3 triples 2 HR and 17 RBI in 108 AB. The batting average may not be that great as of yet, but he is hitting .318 with runners in scoring position, and 4/8 with RISP and 2 outs. Which is a good thing for a potential 20-20 (or more) guy that could be pegged to some day hit in the meat of the Indians order in the future (I'm thinking 3 hole, but it's pure speculation). I'm not going to bring up the "C" word (far too early in the kid's career to even mention it), but the stats don't lie that Sizemore is buckling down and putting the ball in play to drive runs in. This is Sizemore's first time up to AAA, and he should only improve as the season progresses.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby shortsavage » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:19 pm

EK771, thanks for the Sizemore updates. I drafted Sizemore in the final round of my first year keeper league's draft last December. He impressed me in the All-Star Futures game. And, it would be nice to get insight on him a little more frequently than the top baseball update sites give it. Keep up the solid information ;-D .
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Trot Nixon » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:14 pm

Is he gonna get called up this year?
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pilambp » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:13 am

How's Brandon Phillips doing? Have you been keeping tabs on him as well?
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:19 am

This is a great forum, especially for those of us who don't have the time to follow all the minor league action. ;-D Just wish I had something to contribute every now and then. :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball