HOW do you trade with guys like this????? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HOW do you trade with guys like this?????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Fri May 07, 2004 2:01 am

nah, i am leading that league by 20 points. im not bragging cuz i know its only 1/6 of the way thru, im jus saying that i dont NEED to make any trades. But i was listening to the 411 on mlb.com yesterday and they mentioned that unless you are leading every category, then you can always do something. So it got me thinking that i can give up a few guys to upgrade my closers - thus im trying to upgrade Rhodes to Percival. The reason i dont need Beltre is cuz i have D. Young on DL, Teixeira, and Huff.

but anyway, yeah i liked the comment from bones about jus being polite and trying to keep them interested....that makes alot of sense to me.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Fri May 07, 2004 2:13 am

mtarail wrote:Just my opinion. I think it's hard to make trades because everyone--especially near the beginning of the year--thinks that they did better in the draft than everyone else. Everyone is sure that their team is gonna win.

This is definitely one of my shortcomings. If I drafted someone who becomes a bust it takes me longer than it should to see it. Sometimes this gets in the way of me making a trade that would help my team because I can't let go and I overvalue. :*)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bukoski77 » Fri May 07, 2004 2:34 am

Its a more than fair offer I'll give it that if....... he has dead weight on his roster. Over the years I've noticed 2-1 trades can be a really tough sell because its obvious that the team getting 1 player is getting the best player in the deal, most of the time. When you get into 3-1 deals it can become a really tough sell. You can sometimes actually offend an owner implying that he needs to make drops. About the only times I have seen 3-1 deals go through are the trade deadlines of keeper leagues when a team has conceded that they need to rebuild, and are willing to ship off one of their really good players for young talent.

BTW, savvy move being patient with Young, Teixeira, Huff. Now is definately the time to get what you can for Beltre.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fantasyfiend » Fri May 07, 2004 3:17 am

i recently traded Melvin Mora, Fransisco Cordero, & Loaiza....for E. Chavez
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby wrveres » Fri May 07, 2004 3:39 am

Ryn, you need to build Trading Partners as was stated before ..
I usually have two or three in each league. Some seasons I scratch there back, some seasons they scratch mine. For newer leagues, I get started "chatting" at them in the spring. Making small talk via Email or Chat ...

Talk to him, see what he "Wants" .. That may not be what he "Needs" but its always easier to deal when you know what he "Wants". For all you know, Rollins may be his favorite player and lo and behold, you have Rollins on your bench ......
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 642)

Postby RynMan » Fri May 07, 2004 6:06 am

wrveres wrote:Ryn, you need to build Trading Partners as was stated before ..
I usually have two or three in each league. Some seasons I scratch there back, some seasons they scratch mine. For newer leagues, I get started "chatting" at them in the spring. Making small talk via Email or Chat ...

Talk to him, see what he "Wants" .. That may not be what he "Needs" but its always easier to deal when you know what he "Wants". For all you know, Rollins may be his favorite player and lo and behold, you have Rollins on your bench ......

this is really good advice wrveres, thanks! ;-D
the guys in my league are friends of mine so i do know them on a personal level. I do have guys that are kind of trading partners but even they offer me some pretty average offers. Its got to the point where i dont want any of the guys they have, and want other guys on other teams.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri May 07, 2004 8:31 pm

I don't like doing 3 for 1 deals b/c the guy who 'wins' 3 guys also will have to dump 2 guys to do so. That doesn't mean that it can't work but those other guys have to be accounted for too.

I would try sending another offer, perhaps expl that you REALLY want something. Try to set something up he won't necessarily do but then ask him what he wants. Beltre is as good as Percival, if he continues to hit like that. He's DUE to cool off though and there's some risk in that. If his pitching is really bad, Padilla might be of use. He's certainly DUE to win a game. Other than that, Rhodes has potential to score but is not a slam dunk.

If you really want Percival, who looks like he's an A+ reliever, I'd think you'd need to give up a reliable A player or A- B+ combo. I'd rate Beltre an A- but Rhodes and Padilla don't really add value unless he's really hurting in one of those areas and are C players at best. Unless they get hot, of course!!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers