Closer by Commitee in Oakland? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Closer by Commitee in Oakland?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GSes » Fri May 07, 2004 1:13 am

A's are commited to Rhodes.

He is still 6/8 and his ERA is inflated by a nonsave oppertunity like many other closers this year.

Dont give up on Rhodes yet
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Fri May 07, 2004 1:17 am

Rhodes has at least had a couple good seasons a few years ago. Mecir is terrible. It's Rhodes' job. I'll stick with my preseason prediciton that he'll be horrible too, but it's his job still because he's getting paid more than everybody else, and they don't have any better RP's.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mtarail » Fri May 07, 2004 1:26 am

There's only so much that even a mid-budget team like the A's can take before they start doing something. I don't know if that means bringing guys up from AAA or trading a little young talent for an old workhorse--Rod Beck or something like that--but whatever the A's are saying publicly I'd bet that they are already looking for a plan B.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jbones733 » Fri May 07, 2004 1:28 am

this from rotoworld :

With Arthur Rhodes unavailable after throwing 34 pitches on Wednesday, Jim Mecir picked up his first save of the year tonight.
Mecir pitched a perfect ninth to protect a three-run lead and lower his ERA to 10.24.

though i agree as a rhodes owner I am worried, tonight was not a case of rhodes losing his job he simply threw too many pitchhes last night. on that note i agree A's still are probably looking for a plan B as am i
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby stumpak » Fri May 07, 2004 12:11 pm

What about Harden? Isn't there talk that they see him as more of a closer in the long-term?
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Fri May 07, 2004 12:15 pm

I think Harden would be a last resort. By making him a closer this year, it would really hurt his stamina in the years to come, making it tougher to once again become a starter. I think Duscherer (sp.?) would be a more appropriate candidate than either Mecir or Rhodes if the A's need another plan this year.

I have not heard this anywhere, it's just my opinion.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby G-Man » Fri May 07, 2004 12:17 pm

jeffc_76 wrote:Yes, like a blessing from the heavens, Michael Kay has been missing for the past few games. I can only hope he came down with Ebola virus or was mauled by wild boars. Singleton/Murcer may not be the best but at least they have real baseball experience to reflect on. Kay has a really shallow bag of not-so-wity stuff to draw from and makes intelligent observations about the game at about the same frequency as my dog who watches the games with me.

very refreshing to hear a yankee fan say this.....michael kay is utterly horrible.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Fri May 07, 2004 12:45 pm

G-Man wrote:
jeffc_76 wrote:Yes, like a blessing from the heavens, Michael Kay has been missing for the past few games. I can only hope he came down with Ebola virus or was mauled by wild boars. Singleton/Murcer may not be the best but at least they have real baseball experience to reflect on. Kay has a really shallow bag of not-so-wity stuff to draw from and makes intelligent observations about the game at about the same frequency as my dog who watches the games with me.

very refreshing to hear a yankee fan say this.....michael kay is utterly horrible.

Make that 2 Yankee fans. While I wouldn't want to wish death on him, missing a few games is good. Unfortunately, he adds life to the broadcasts. Singleton, Murcer (terrible), and Kaat are good but they are monotone at best.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby mtarail » Fri May 07, 2004 8:49 pm

The better Harden pitches the lower the odds get of him going into the bullpen. If he can consistently pitch as well as he did against the Yankees last night he won't leave the rotation.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers