Contrares sucks... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Contrares sucks...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Contrares sucks...

Postby wkelly91 » Thu May 06, 2004 3:48 pm

What a dissapointment this guy has been. Don't send him to A-ball....send him home on a raft :-[
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Members Only Jackets » Thu May 06, 2004 3:51 pm

haha

was there hype on this guy prior to the season?
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby KolbSaves » Thu May 06, 2004 3:53 pm

yeah, he was undervalued in many people's eyes

so I guess you could say a group of people didn't value him much and another group overvalued him by labeling him a sleeper
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sevillano » Fri May 07, 2004 3:10 am

I know this sounds dumb, but as someone who has never had him in any league, I'm going to try picking him up now that he's available. I know he's been terrible, but it's all about upside, and if you can drop someone without much upside for him, he may reward you in the long run.

Plus, it's an experienced competitive league with managers who are very hesitant to drop talent, so he's the most talented SP I've seen on the wire in a loooong time, even if he is a headcase.
Sevillano
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bukoski77 » Fri May 07, 2004 3:46 am

Sevillano wrote:I know this sounds dumb, but as someone who has never had him in any league, I'm going to try picking him up now that he's available. I know he's been terrible, but it's all about upside, and if you can drop someone without much upside for him, he may reward you in the long run.

Plus, it's an experienced competitive league with managers who are very hesitant to drop talent, so he's the most talented SP I've seen on the wire in a loooong time, even if he is a headcase.

;-D ;-D ;-D
In my own defence in a 16 team H-H keeper league of my decision not to drop him, here is the reason on the message boards I wrote after a few owners scoffed at me.

"It could be all Torre bulls#@t, with just being media friendly but I believe his problems are rooted in mechanics, as well as his family being stuck in Cuba weighing heavily on him. Finally he is from the Carribean and when the dead of summer set in last year ( humidity ) he was pretty darn effective and putting up 2nd tier SP #'s. "

I knew the rest, but someone from the cafe, who? I have forgotten exactly who, brought me up to speed on the humididy theory about a week ago.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

LOL

Postby BronsonPinchot » Fri May 07, 2004 3:52 am

LOL. Simply outstanding. People in denial severe enough to concoct multiple preposterous theories about the cause of Contreras's downfall (or, more accurately, his inability to ever actually perform). How long until someone suggests that Contreras's role in the JFK assasination has saddled him with guilt, rendering him unable to pitch for the time being?
BronsonPinchot Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Re: LOL

Postby Bukoski77 » Fri May 07, 2004 3:56 am

BronsonPinchot wrote:LOL. Simply outstanding. People in denial severe enough to concoct multiple preposterous theories about the cause of Contreras's downfall (or, more accurately, his inability to ever actually perform). How long until someone suggests that Contreras's role in the JFK assasination has saddled him with guilt, rendering him unable to pitch for the time being?

Touche!
:-D ROFLMAO, but you are takeing that one tooooooo......... faaarrrr, as he isnt quite old enough to be a JFK factor is he :-D .
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Andy1234 » Fri May 07, 2004 5:19 am

This is for everyone who didn't think he had any promise at the beginning of the season.

Last Year as a starter he was 6-1 with a 2.37 ERA, 1.00 WHIP and had 57K in 57 Innings. Thats pretty damn good numbers for a player most have as there 5th or lower fantasy starter.

Sure he's had his problems this season, but I would bet that he will come back and put up very high numbers for the Fanasy Team that picks him up, or keeps him. He could very well be the difference for a Championship team.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RynMan » Fri May 07, 2004 6:21 am

Andy1234 wrote:This is for everyone who didn't think he had any promise at the beginning of the season.

Last Year as a starter he was 6-1 with a 2.37 ERA, 1.00 WHIP and had 57K in 57 Innings. Thats pretty damn good numbers for a player most have as there 5th or lower fantasy starter.

Sure he's had his problems this season, but I would bet that he will come back and put up very high numbers for the Fanasy Team that picks him up, or keeps him. He could very well be the difference for a Championship team.

yeah i am with you 100% here, im not ready to write him off yet either.

about the reference to humidity and his family being overseas....i think these are purely legitimate reasons why this guy may not be performing. baseball is such a mental game...it would be hard to play like that.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby thehat » Fri May 07, 2004 6:40 am

What I've heard is that the family thing has really disturbed his concentration and messed him up. I've never had family members stuck in another country, while being in a foreign land myself. So to dismiss this as being inconsequential is ridiculous, unless you've walked a mile in those shoes.

The guy has electric stuff, and if he ever gets right, he can dominate. But that's becoming real questionable, and I'd only gamble on Contreras if there's room on the roster to reserve him till he shows positive results.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers