The hypocricy of the Spiderman outrage - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The hypocricy of the Spiderman outrage

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby matmat » Thu May 06, 2004 6:51 pm

out allstate coverage of baseball on *channel X* brings you today the New York Yankees sponsored by Spiderman 4 at The Boston Redsox sponsored by Batman 7. We now switch over to our Modell's Sporting Goods camera in center field at MetLife/Fenway Park.

The batter at the palye, sponsored by extra strength pain killer *insert slogan here* is Derek Jeter. On the mound is Derek Lowe who is sponsored by *some cruise line -- insert slogan*
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu May 06, 2004 6:56 pm

Arlo wrote:Quick question for those who don't like the Spiderman ads (and I'm probably in that camp myself): how do you feel about the planned logos promoting cancer awareness? Or how about commemorative World Series logos?

I think that those are great (even considering the slippery slope argument)

I don't like the ads either - I think that they are in poor taste. I just don't believe that anyone can hold up the pure and holy tradition of the game as an argument agains the ads.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby wrveres » Thu May 06, 2004 7:03 pm

Arlo wrote:Quick question for those who don't like the Spiderman ads (and I'm probably in that camp myself): how do you feel about the planned logos promoting cancer awareness? Or how about commemorative World Series logos?

that is something totally different .... I guess .... ;-7
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1149)

Postby Amazinz » Thu May 06, 2004 7:16 pm

wrveres wrote:

that is something totally different .... I guess .... ;-7

I don't think it's different. I imagine you can argue that since they aren't making money off of it then it's OK. I am all for promoting the awareness of breast cancer for women and prostate cancer for men (or vice versa for that matter) but it still sets a bad precedent. In my cynical opinion they only did that to lessen the blow of the Spidey ads which is deplorable.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Thu May 06, 2004 7:23 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I just don't believe that anyone can hold up the pure and holy tradition of the game as an argument agains the ads.

It's not that the tradition is pure and holy it's just purely tradition. We have had the tradition of not littering the playing surface with anything unrelated to the game. Baseball teams have to get special permission just to wear patches commemorating a person or event. The Mets had to get OK'd by the league to wear Police & Fire Dept. hats commemorating 9/11. It's OK IMO to break tradition for a valid reason, I just don't think a little extra ad space as valid.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu May 06, 2004 7:35 pm

I think the biggest joke is the reason they say for doing this? "We think it will attract young fans." Alright, regular teenager who doesnt have attention span for baseball, "WOAH, those bases have spiderman 2 ads on them! Thats mind blowing! I love baseball because of these ads! Its like a living mirror!" Like that is going to happen. The only reason they do this is to pocket more money. "Attract young fans" my ass. Wont be too long till we see new advertised bags for every 3 game set. The webbing thing with the guy climbing it was corny as hell and I would rather have the bags than that crap. What if you had a seat behind home plate? How could you see? Oh, and Bronson Pinchot, do you work for "Spider-Man 2" marketing? Because I cant believe any baseball fan wouldn't find this pretty stupid.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Thu May 06, 2004 7:53 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:The one interesting argument was that this is the thin edge of the wedge (or a slippery slope) and soon the players will be dressed up like NASCAR drivers. Where is your evidence of this?

There is none, that's why its a fallacy. But not all slippery slopes are false. It is possible that Selig will continue to push more aggressive advertising campaigns to line his pockets. The Spiderman ads don't upset me, but they do concern me.

Mookie4ever wrote:And if this is a real concern shouldn't people have objected when they first put advertising in the ballparks or when they put commercials on during the game.

I'm not sure about the reaction to the first ads in ballparks, but I do know that they are now(and have been for years) paying the price for commercials. Game times are lengthened to accomodate TV sponsors and it is the slow pace of play that has been most attributed to youth disinterest (if you buy into the youth being disinterested).
What will be the windfall of allowing sponsors more control of the game? To avoid another slippery slope argument I will just say I have no idea, but would rather not find out.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby willieroe » Thu May 06, 2004 7:58 pm

AP now reporting that the SpiderMan 2 base promotion has been dropped by MLB.

;-D
willieroe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby swingaway » Thu May 06, 2004 9:18 pm

not totally dropped just the part where theres ads on bases everything else is staying. There will be logos on signs and stuff in parks.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu May 06, 2004 9:24 pm

Besides the guy climbing on the webbing the base were the stupidest idea. Im glad that these ugly monstrosites are gone. Did you hear what these things would like? The bag would be red, with yellow and black webbing on it. How eye burning.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers