The hypocricy of the Spiderman outrage - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The hypocricy of the Spiderman outrage

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The hypocricy of the Spiderman outrage

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu May 06, 2004 1:20 pm

I do not get why people are so upset with the Spiderman advertising.

One poster (who shall remain nameless because I don't want to have my IP blocked :-D ) wrote that we should send:

a clear message to the Rangers that the fans will not tolerate them messing with the game and nip this in the bud.

But advertising has a cherished place in baseball.

Check out this image from Ebbets Field:

If I am not mistaken many pre-MLB leagues had advertising on their uniforms. Purists look back on these days with nostalgia.

I can understand the outrage over the greed but we already knew that they were greedy and I never hear any outrage over the signing of a new TV contract or the licencing of MLB apparel - In fact I am willing to bet that 90% of the people on this site have paid a premium for MLB merchandise with our team's logo on it - what fan hasn't?

While I understand the outrage over the greed let's not get mad that they are "tampering with the game" because you should not be able to say that and keep a straight face at the same time.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ironman » Thu May 06, 2004 1:25 pm

Its only for a few games over a weekend so I'm not too concerned about it. Plus its on the bases and on-deck circles so unless the tv cameras are blatantly zooming in on them (which I'm sure they will) it will probably be fairly discrete.

Now the whole computer-generated ads transposed on the back of blue canvases that Fox has done in the past, that is really annoying. :-t I don't recall them a whole lot last year during the playoffs but the year before they were in your face during every at-bat!
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Bloody Nipples » Thu May 06, 2004 1:25 pm

I disagree. The adds on fences are ok, because they are not part of the PLAYING FIELD. WHats happening now is gonna be on the playing field, the principle of which just annoys some people. I would not mind adds on uniforms that much (cause hell, soccer teams have adds smack dab in the middle of the jersey), but it would break with tradition and look kinda weird at first. I think the biggest thing is the breaking of tradition and longstanding ways of baseball
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu May 06, 2004 1:28 pm

Bloody Nipples wrote:I disagree. The adds on fences are ok, because they are not part of the PLAYING FIELD. WHats happening now is gonna be on the playing field, the principle of which just annoys some people. I would not mind adds on uniforms that much (cause hell, soccer teams have adds smack dab in the middle of the jersey), but it would break with tradition and look kinda weird at first. I think the biggest thing is the breaking of tradition and longstanding ways of baseball

Not to be rude but:

How are the fences not part of the playing field? If a ball hits the fence is it not in play?

What principle are you talking about?

What tradition and longstanding ways are you speaking about?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Green Monstah » Thu May 06, 2004 1:28 pm

whatever happens, Sony must have huge smiles on their faces. The amount of advertising they are getting for Spider-Man 2 is huge. Its plastered over on ESPN and even on the front page of cnn.com. If I was a boss at Sony, I would give the marketing people who thought this up big raises.
Green Monstah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Green Monstah » Thu May 06, 2004 1:32 pm

how bout the giant milk jug in fenway? or the coke bottles above the monster? or the ever present citgo sign that can be seen in the backround. If you actually take a step back and look closely, thereare ads all over a stadium. I don't see how this is going to tarnish anything one bit. O:-)

One thing I hate thought is naming stadiums after companies. Its sad to see a name like Petco Park :-P
Green Monstah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Amazinz » Thu May 06, 2004 1:35 pm

Placing ads on the playing field is different than ads on the periphery of the playing field. There is no doubt that marketing has its place in baseball history; take the Durham Bulls for example. But that doesn't mean it should expand unchecked. Just my .02.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jose Contreras is 72 » Thu May 06, 2004 1:37 pm

Green Monstah wrote:or the ever present citgo sign that can be seen in the backround.

Here's the kick in the pants, that I know you know as well as I do.

I deplore you - or ANYONE, for that matter, to find me a Citgo station within 5 miles of Fenway Park.
Jose Contreras is 72
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby tdogg7722 » Thu May 06, 2004 1:44 pm

The whole point of selling advertising is to make money. SO the ticket prices should be cheeper for those games right? haaaaaaa If the money is going to a good place, then ok I personally can deal for a little while, but if the teams are just gonna pocket the money........well...... All of this being said I realize that the teams are not getting enough to give back that much to anyone. I think they could have gotten a little more and maybe given something back. Who besides spiderman 2 is REALLY going to benefit from this?
All of this being said, this is just my opinion, I am not saying that I am right and anyone else is wrong. In fact I don't really think there is a right or wrong opinion on this just two opposing points of view. It is MLB's decison afterall, Ain't democracy grand?
tdogg7722
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Jose Contreras is 72 » Thu May 06, 2004 1:57 pm

tdogg7722 wrote: Who besides spiderman 2 is REALLY going to benefit from this?

That's such a great point. The Citgo sign was, quite properly, mentioned earlier, and like it or not, that has actually influenced Red Sox fans outside of the immediate Boston metropolitan area to choose Citgo when in need of gas for decades now.

BEST case scenario, "Spider-Man 2" is in the theatres, what, 16 weeks?

Advertising, as it's done now, doesn't bug me much so long as it promotes a STABLE PRODUCT - you know, one that might still exist come playoff time. Citgo will. "Spider-Man 2" will not.
Jose Contreras is 72
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers