Cal Ripken Jr.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cal Ripken Jr....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

give me a break

Postby acsguitar » Thu May 06, 2004 1:54 pm

Dedication to work gives you the right to play when you want to....Cal shouldn't have sat for the good of the team...personally i never really like cal ripken...but im a yankees fan...and Don Mattingly is just as classy if not more classy then ripken...And it looks like his hitting coaching is coming around...9 in a row tonight
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cal Ripken Jr....

Postby Lofunzo » Thu May 06, 2004 2:10 pm

Jose Contreras is 72 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote: IMHO, that he should have sat down for the good of the team but he didn't. I understand the desire to be ready to play every day but I also see the need to realize that a day or 2 off here and there could do wonders for the team.

See, I hear that a lot, and it's a debatable point, but seriously, at what point were his potential replacements, even for a day, any better for the team's offense - and defensively, for that matter - than Cal?

The fact that it was Ryan Minor who finally squashed "The Streak" only somewhat furthers that point.

It's all relative. It's not about whether the replacement was better. It's about the season being a marathon and not a race. Could Posada catch all 162 games?? Probably but why do it?? Flaherty at 100% is still worse than Posada at 80%.

What I'm saying is that there were times where his body could have used a break. Like take a Sunday game off and then have an off day on Monday. Something like that. It's not about the replacement being better. It's about keeping Cal fresh.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby stomperrob » Thu May 06, 2004 6:49 pm

stumpak wrote:Ripken and Mattingly are blowhards. Let's pretend they had marginal talent, would they be tempted them to roid up to keep his job? It's easy to say you won't take illegal supplements when you have tremendous natural talent--its like a chick with huge knockers denigrating boob jobs, of course she is going to say boob jobs are wrong if she is already stacked.

Ripken was never a blowhard. And as for "natural talent" - that came with a lot of hard work and no shortcuts - reminds me of the time an interviewer commented on how lucky A.J Foyt was - Foyt replied: "Yeh, it's funny, the harder I work, the luckier I get".
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby gateman4 » Thu May 06, 2004 9:25 pm

If you have ever read "The Ripken Way" by Cal Ripken Sr. I think you will learn that Cal Jr's "natural" talent came from enormous amounts of hard work. Cal was a man who took hundreds and hundreds of grounders a day as a kid and continued to take a hundred grounders a day throughout his professinal career. Cal is no blowhard and a man who works that hard has earned the right to voice his opinon.

Even if Cal was mediocre, I think enough class was instilled in Cal by his father that he would not think of gaining the unfair advantage.

Read the book. ;-D
You owe it to yourself to be the best you can possible be - in baseball and in life.
--Pete Rose

A hot dog at the ball park is better than steak at the Ritz.
--Humphrey Bogart
gateman4
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu May 06, 2004 9:49 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Jose Contreras is 72 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote: IMHO, that he should have sat down for the good of the team but he didn't. I understand the desire to be ready to play every day but I also see the need to realize that a day or 2 off here and there could do wonders for the team.

See, I hear that a lot, and it's a debatable point, but seriously, at what point were his potential replacements, even for a day, any better for the team's offense - and defensively, for that matter - than Cal?

The fact that it was Ryan Minor who finally squashed "The Streak" only somewhat furthers that point.

It's all relative. It's not about whether the replacement was better. It's about the season being a marathon and not a race. Could Posada catch all 162 games?? Probably but why do it?? Flaherty at 100% is still worse than Posada at 80%.

What I'm saying is that there were times where his body could have used a break. Like take a Sunday game off and then have an off day on Monday. Something like that. It's not about the replacement being better. It's about keeping Cal fresh.

And the fact is that's the manager's call, not Ripken's. It's not like he held a gun to the manager's head and demanded that he be played.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu May 06, 2004 10:05 pm

Jose Contreras is 72 wrote:See, I hear that a lot, and it's a debatable point, but seriously, at what point were his potential replacements, even for a day, any better for the team's offense - and defensively, for that matter - than Cal?

Yep exactly. ;-D
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers