Overbay Overrated??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Overbay Overrated???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

well

Postby JOEG » Wed May 05, 2004 7:12 pm

Well i think theres two ways to look at Overbay....

Points league vs Roto League

In a roto league, I don't give him much of a chance as a starter, yet a 300/15/100 projection is a nice fill in guy when big guys like Gaimbi, Bagwell, and Delgado players get hurt.... 100 RBI's is hard to overlook, i know his career high is 28, but he's allready got 24 in 97 AB's and that lineup if anything is going to get better as they have some very intiguing (sp?) prospects. Project that out to a nice 550 AB season and you are talking about a huge decline to fall to the pace of 100 even...

IN a points league I love having him at first base starting, right now in my league (pretyy standard scoring) he has the 4th most points as of ALL 1b's (only behind the stud Puljols, Helton, and Bags). He gets this with his smooth double swing (11 allready - more then all 1b's not named Ortiz or Casey). and lots of singles in clutch situations. I am not expecting this pace to continue, but I am pretty confident he stays in the top 10 in 1B scoring at the end!
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: well

Postby Longhorns76 » Wed May 05, 2004 7:20 pm

JOEG wrote:Well i think theres two ways to look at Overbay....

Points league vs Roto League

In a roto league, I don't give him much of a chance as a starter, yet a 300/15/100 projection is a nice fill in guy when big guys like Gaimbi, Bagwell, and Delgado players get hurt.... 100 RBI's is hard to overlook, i know his career high is 28, but he's allready got 24 in 97 AB's and that lineup if anything is going to get better as they have some very intiguing (sp?) prospects. Project that out to a nice 550 AB season and you are talking about a huge decline to fall to the pace of 100 even...

IN a points league I love having him at first base starting, right now in my league (pretyy standard scoring) he has the 4th most points as of ALL 1b's (only behind the stud Puljols, Helton, and Bags). He gets this with his smooth double swing (11 allready - more then all 1b's not named Ortiz or Casey). and lots of singles in clutch situations. I am not expecting this pace to continue, but I am pretty confident he stays in the top 10 in 1B scoring at the end!

Got to agree with him as well.
"Relievers are like volatile stocks. They're the one asset you need to watch closely, and trade for quick profits." --Billy Beane
Longhorns76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bell » Wed May 05, 2004 7:23 pm

matmat wrote:1) overbay was a good prospect, but he didn't pan out in 'zona. Maybe he is coming into his own at miller park.

I'd say he's producing now because he's playing consistently. Brenly never let him play every day, but what time he did get last season has certainly helped him this year.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

one more

Postby JOEG » Wed May 05, 2004 7:23 pm

chalk up double number 12 and RBI number 25

damn

very pretty swing - just crushed it - worked the count very perfect too
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Thu May 06, 2004 1:02 am

If you want the reincarnation of John Olerud pick up Overbay because thats what he is. Most teams want more power from 1B and even in miller Park he won't provide the power you want. HE's a good player just in a position that is incredibly full of talent so he ends up nothing special.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

again

Postby JOEG » Fri May 07, 2004 7:59 pm

HR #4 RBI #26

batting 327/4/26 right now - damn - 3 more RBI's then any 1B!!!

wow
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wannabthechamp » Fri May 07, 2004 8:00 pm

I keep getting more and more tempted to pick this guy up...he's got great stats right now.
wannabthechamp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Payne Dailey » Fri May 07, 2004 8:07 pm

I picked him up a couple of days ago, dropped Fullmer for him. I'm going to spot start him at utl, I have Lee for my starter. I'll keep him around until he gets cold then drop him for the next flavor of the day.
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LCBOY » Fri May 07, 2004 8:26 pm

shortround_phat2008 wrote:For real i'm in 15 different leagues and noone has picked him up.

Do you have a job? :-) I'm in 2 leagues and it's a lot of work for me. Fifteen teams! Wow!! I don't know how you do it? :-D
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Longhorns76 » Fri May 07, 2004 8:41 pm

I picked him up after reading this thread. Looked at the stats and realized he leads baseball in doubles, one of the top 5 or so in RBI's and maintains a .330 BA. Watched him in AA El Paso and knew he was good but didn't know how long it would take to translate to big league good. Now he's getting a chance without having someone scrutinize him everyday and he is looking good early in the season. May be good trade bait however. He's never approached a full season of AB's so I'll predict he will probably get a little tired after 400 AB's but for now, he's going to help me some.
"Relievers are like volatile stocks. They're the one asset you need to watch closely, and trade for quick profits." --Billy Beane
Longhorns76
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers