Hey Trans - why bring baseball to D.C.? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hey Trans - why bring baseball to D.C.?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hey Trans - why bring baseball to D.C.?

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed May 05, 2004 2:47 pm

They already have the Os.

Plus they don't support the Caps and rarely go to the Bullets/Wiz.

They seem like very fickle fans. Baseball will always be a distant second (third or fourth) to the 'Skins.

There are too many teams in MLB as it is. Baseball should stay out of D.C.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tdogg7722 » Wed May 05, 2004 3:58 pm

I'm from DC origionally and I can say that in general, the people are fed up with the all of the crap they have to put with. In football, The redskins are the highest tickect and food prices in sports (S.I. a year or so ago). Dan Snyder ruined and decimated the team for years now, while raising the price of a rum and coke to around 16$ last year. I'd love to see them do well, but I will never give another cent to Snyder, and I know a lot of other fans feel the same way.
As for the BULLETS, how many years now have they been just horrible? They added one of the best players in history and still couldn't even look half-way decent. I don't think you can expext the fans to show up often when you haven't had a winning season in over a dozen years ('86-'87 they were 42-40). Once the spectacle of Old Jordan is gone, seeing "your team" loose over fifty games a year while only winning 25 or so is just depressing.
The Caps, well their lack of support I think just refelcts the NHL's downfall as a major sport. But all of this is just my opinion. I am just one fan in a town of many. Should DC get baseball, I'd love to see it, but if the "DC Expos" go through the same kinda crappy seasons the Bullets/Wizards have had or the horrible management that the Redskins have now, who knows what will happen.
tdogg7722
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Madison » Wed May 05, 2004 5:43 pm

tdogg7722 wrote:while raising the price of a rum and coke to around 16$ last year.

8-o 8-o 8-o

Wow! I wouldn't even pay that much in a topless.........er, um, uh.....at an adult establishment. O:-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby shortround_phat2008 » Wed May 05, 2004 6:03 pm

For real me either, but I can see why they would want to have baseball in D.C.
shortround_phat2008
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Hey Trans - why bring baseball to D.C.?

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed May 05, 2004 6:04 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:They already have the Os.

Nah, we don't have the Os. It's horrible trying to get there. A 7 p.m. game? You kidding me?

Because, for one, it's a shame that the nation's capitol doesn't have a team, two, we're the next largest city in terms of media, popluation, etc. that doesn't have one.

IT seems Angelos is the only reason why it hasn't been done already.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby planet » Wed May 05, 2004 6:11 pm

we have the history...

planet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed May 05, 2004 6:30 pm

Wasnt there rumors that the Expos were considering moving to Washington DC? Youd have your team, no expansion, and certainly a bigger market and money flow.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Longhorns76 » Wed May 05, 2004 6:52 pm

I would think that the Northern Virginia baseball authority will have a better argument for a team in the area. They can build a stadium for cheaper without using taxpayer funds. They would pay for the stadium from revenues generated by the stadium. It would be 2/3 public funds and 1/3 funded by ownership whoever that will be if or when the Expos move.
"Relievers are like volatile stocks. They're the one asset you need to watch closely, and trade for quick profits." --Billy Beane
Longhorns76
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers