Cheap Catchers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cheap Catchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cheap Catchers

Postby Mordraken » Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:30 pm

The catching dillema is already on me. I went with Ramon Hernandez 2 years ago, and he didn't pan out. Last year it was Toby Hall's .150 batting average for the first two months...

This year I've got Hall again, but his spring is weak so far (batting under .200 4 RBIs and 4 Runs in about 45 at bats). Other "breakout" catidates like Ramon Hernandez (>850 OPS and 5 runs/4 rbis in 35 at bats) and Ben Davis (.325 avg, 6R, 7 RBIs) are having great springs, but Hernandez bats at the bottom of the order (Hall bats #6) and Davis will face competiton from Dan Wilson (who it has been announced will be the starter when he retuns in early April).

So who is the best of this "sleeper" catcher list? Will any of these guys put up .280 AVG, .320 OBP, .450 SLG numbers and score at least 60 runs and 60 RBIs? ...or get >70% of the Catcher at bats for their team?
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Josh » Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:38 pm

From what I have heard, Hall is worth hanging onto, for awhile anyways. I would wait to see what happens at the beginning of the season. There are a lot ofpeople predicting Hall to have a decent season, so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt for now. Plus, as you said, he hits in a more productive part of the order and is there main guy.
Josh
College Coach
College Coach

Postby John Bonzo » Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:11 pm

I like Hall as well
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jnr98 » Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:38 pm

I happen to be looking favorably upon the oft-maligned Javy Lopez of the Braves. Reports have him down alot of weight and playing for a contract. He's underdelivered for the last few years and hasn't been that healthy in that same time, but now might be that time when you can get him super late in the draft and he'll deliver value. At least, that is what I did!
You may remember him as Joe the Policeman from the "What's Goin' Down?" episode of That's My Momma! Please welcome, Jackson Heights' own, Mr. Randy Watson! Sexual Chocolate!!!
jnr98
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

catcher

Postby munson » Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:43 pm

if munson qualifies as a catcher he may be worth a pick-up. don't know how much time will be taken away from him playing at 3b this year.
munson

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby O » Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:27 pm

I like Charles Johnson. Not much of a sleeper, but he slipped down to the mid teens. In 2000 he hit 30HR and .300. Coors should bring him back to 25 and .270. What do you guys think?
O

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:46 pm

i'd stick with toby halllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll toby hallllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby molebdynum » Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:09 pm

I drafted Michael Barrett in 2 leagues I am in. Remember they're going to that sandbox for 22 games.
molebdynum
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers