Prior.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Prior....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Prior....

Postby StudMuffin? » Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:48 pm

Hey everybody...What do you think Prior is capable of this year? I'm having a hard time valuing him for my weekend draft...thanks...
StudMuffin?
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davegod2 » Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:52 pm

I think he will be good for 15 wins, a sub 3.00 ERA, a good WHIP, and plenty of strikeouts. Problem is there is also a lot of hype over him this year. I would not jump to take him too early, but if he falls into the late 3rd round/early 4th round, don't hesitate to grab him....
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.
davegod2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby orangecrushv » Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:18 pm

i differ in opinion, i wouldn't take him so early (3rd-4th round) he didn't go until the 10th round of my draft, you can get much better fantasy options, that have been proven already, that early in a draft...
orangecrushv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ironman » Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:52 pm

with a guy like prior you're gonna overrate him or underrate him. He's got great potential but until we see him in a full season its really hard to properly place him. I've seen him go in the 2nd round, and I've seen him go in the 8th round. It all depends on the managers I guess. If you're in a league where people like to go for young phenoms early you may have to take a gamble and pick him early if you want him. If you're not so concerned I'd just hold off and if he happens to fall to you in the 4th or 5th round take him.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Thanks

Postby StudMuffin? » Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:06 pm

Hey guys...I really appreciate your insights...I think I'll try and let him drop to what seems to be (the consensus) 7th round. Thanks
StudMuffin?
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DGroundhog » Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:18 pm

If you wait until the 7th round, you won't get him. If he is picked in the 10th round, it was probably an auto-draft where most didn't rank their players.

He will trail only Randy, Curt and Pedro in K's. Those SP's are first rounders. He may not get the as many wins as those guys, but he will make a big enough impact to be an elite fantasy pitcher. If you draft Randy/Curt/Pedro you probably don't need Prior in the late 3rd or early 4th. If you took a couple of bats in the first 2 rouinds and Barry and Roy are gone, Prior is the guy I would target in the late 3rd early 4th round. You want a guy that can stand above the competition as your staff ace. Prior is the best option after the top 5 SP's. I think he is a good value around pick 34, exactly where I grabbed him.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jay » Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:00 pm

Let me put it to you this way, no matter where you pick him, you won't regret it. He's got a legit change to be the 4th best pitcher in fantasy.
Zack Greinke...the next Greg Maddux. LOOK IT UP!
For what it's worth.
jay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Siege1386 » Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:31 am

I was actually just able to pick him up on free agency in one of my leagues. It was an autodraft league. I was jumping all over it.
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Yo

Postby B Dizzle » Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:45 am

I'm a huge Mark Prior fan but sadly, he isnt on my fantasy team this year. I thought i could get him in the 4th or 5th round but i was wrong. He went in the early third round to a friend of mine who knew how i felt about him. He has all the upside in the world on a team with all the upside in the world, but that doesnt mean a whole lot. Do what you can to get him but dont risk some other solid players. Make sure you know what kind of league you are in. Peace
Mark Prior for MVP
B Dizzle
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

prior

Postby wildcatfreak » Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:15 am

I picked him up in the 9th round and all owners were present during draft, lucky me!
wildcatfreak
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers