Victor Martinez is the REAL deal! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Victor Martinez is the REAL deal!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Victor Martinez is the REAL deal!

Postby unclepaulie » Wed May 05, 2004 1:14 am

Have you guys seen his minor league numbers? They are outstanding.

He hit two rockets off of Schilling and he's hitting 4th in that young Cleveland lineup, not bad for a waiver-wire catcher.
Image <-----Meet the "NEW" Mets

"I pity the mind that can only spell a word one way"
-Thomas Jefferson
unclepaulie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: @ your house with my dirty shoes on ya white couch!

Postby Pedantic » Wed May 05, 2004 1:17 am

'Twas a matter of time. :-)
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby TEKTON » Wed May 05, 2004 1:18 am

whatever
TEKTON
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thehat » Wed May 05, 2004 5:38 am

The sharper baseball people I know are just loopy over Victor Martinez....a potential 30 HR, .320 catcher once he matures. As good a keeper grab as there is in the game, and a likely top ten catcher now.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby d18Mike » Wed May 05, 2004 5:59 am

Here's the ESPN Scouting Report:

The Indians were expecting big things from Victor Martinez last year and he delivered. Not only did Martinez justify their belief that he will be their starting catcher for years to come, but he showed them he could hit in the big leagues. Martinez arrived on June 27 from Triple-A Buffalo and immediately impressed the Indians with the improvements he'd made as a catcher. Offensively, he hit safely in 24 of his last 25 games.

Hitting
Martinez is a line-drive switch-hitter who recognizes pitches early and can make adjustments during at-bats. After hitting one homer in Cleveland and seven in Buffalo last summer in 433 at-bats, Martinez isn't in danger of breaking your mother's picture window. The Indians call him a doubles hitter and believe the 190-pounder eventually will develop more power. Martinez has a quick, level swing from each side of the plate and has shown the ability to hit breaking balls and fastballs. He didn't hit well with runners in scoring position, but batted .393 (22-for-56) from the seventh inning on.

Baserunning & Defense
Manager Eric Wedge told Martinez before he started last season at Buffalo that if he wanted to make the big leagues as a catcher, he had to improve defensively. Martinez, a converted shortstop who always paid more attention to his offense, worked hard on his throwing, game-calling and ball-blocking with roving catching instructor Chris Bando. Martinez is never going to have a Pudge Rodriguez-type arm, as he threw out 28.6 percent (8-for-28) of the baserunners he faced. The Indians think Martinez and their young starting pitchers can grow together.

2004 Outlook
Martinez will go to spring training as the starting catcher, but he will be pushed by Josh Bard and Tim Laker. The Indians see Martinez becoming a complete hitter. They think someday he may develop into a catcher like Jorge Posada and hit for average and power with a high on-base percentage.
ting Report
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Spokes » Wed May 05, 2004 6:00 am

Right now, would you take Martinez or Johnny Estrada as your backup catcher? (This is my situation)
The best lyric ever: "You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you gotta glass jaw you should watch your mouth...'cause I'll break yo face."
Spokes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby d18Mike » Wed May 05, 2004 6:04 am

All other things being equal ... go with the guy hitting cleanup. Martinez.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fantasyfiend » Wed May 05, 2004 7:06 am

Martinez is comming into his zone offensively, but what worries me is, his horrible defense. if he doesn't start posing a threat to opposing teams baserunners, they will have but no choice to sit him in important games, or move him to DH. this can seriously damper his chance of being an everyday catcher

If he can't improve his defense i see him as a future 1B
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby G-Man » Wed May 05, 2004 8:40 am

i picked him up (too early) last season after being enthralled by his ability to dominate pitching at every level of minor league ball, but he is about to do the same consistently against major league hurlers....this guy can rake and shouldn't be a FA in any league. hitting cleanup in that lineup (assuming he stays there which he should) will produce good numbers.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sammyfan711 » Wed May 05, 2004 9:45 am

I just picked him up because Lieberthal will be off tomorrow (day game after night game) but I'm worried he'll also have Thursday off. Hopefully he'll rest tonight and play tomorrow.
sammyfan711
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers