Bonds to the Yankees. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bonds to the Yankees.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pedro » Wed May 05, 2004 2:03 am

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040504&content_id=735510&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

Some of the more notable quotes..

Bonds, who leads the Major Leagues with a .463 average, 10 homers, 44 walks and a 1.111 slugging percentage, said that retirement has been on his mind for several years.

"I want to leave and do something else," said the 39-year-old.

Such as?

"That's none of your business. But I would like to help people -- not as a coach, but like Willie [Mays] did for me. He did it just because he wanted to and wasn't paid for it."

_ _ _ _ _ _

"I'm not going to play until I'm 105 years old," he said. "I'll play until I feel my time is up. Retirement ... it's been there for a while, but I wouldn't mind being a DH, only in California so I could be near my wife and kids."

Yankees :-t
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eftda » Wed May 05, 2004 2:43 am

Zito is God wrote:Yankees will not get Bonds, end of story. :-)

damn right they wont
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed May 05, 2004 2:45 am

Bonds has said he wants to play as DH for Angels when he gets old. He is from Riverside, not far from Anaheim. I think if there is a team that Bonds will go to it might be Angels.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby nmarq8 » Wed May 05, 2004 3:10 am

come on guys, we all know steinbrenner would love (that being an understatement) the idea of having bonds as his DH, and he's willing to give up awesome young talent, i.e. soriano for arod. if there's anything we've learned about the yankees in the past few years it's that NOTHING's impossible.

and as for bonds, he's starving for a ring. regardless of what's been said by anyone, barry loves himself and his records more than anything. if he got the opportunity to go to the yanks to win a ring and prolong his career to break more records, i'd bet my life he'd do it.

and the type of quality talent the giants would get in return would immediately help them turn into a scrappy opportunistic team as opposed to barry's team. it's not like the NL west is dominated by anyone anyway.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby matmat » Wed May 05, 2004 4:27 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:Bonds has said he wants to play as DH for Angels when he gets old. He is from Riverside, not far from Anaheim. I think if there is a team that Bonds will go to it might be Angels.

i agree with you that this would probably be optimal for him, but I don't think he'd fit in with the angels too much...

don't get me wrong, ANY team in the league would love to have him, but over the last several years the angels have tried to forge themselves into a "fan friendly" team -- judging by your login you are from the area -- you must have seen the most recent angels ads? right? I mean.. can you possibly see barry embrace the rally monkey?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thehat » Wed May 05, 2004 4:38 am

Trading Bonds at this point would be beyond moronic. The fallout in the Bay Area would be an total PR disaster. Baseball today is a business, not a game (sorry purists, but that is simply a fact of life). There is ZERO possibility Bonds will be traded by SF at any point prior to his breaking Aaron's record. The only way he plays anyplace else is if he pulls a Clemens by retiring, and then unretiring as a free agent. He's also going to become an even bigger drawing card as he approaches 700 HR and beyond...and the Giants are not about to give up that juicy road revenue.

The entire concept of Bonds being traded anywhere is absurd. It will not happen at any time in the near (2004-05 future) and I'd wager a year's salary on that without hesitation.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Bukoski77 » Wed May 05, 2004 4:50 am

He is the perfect money ball player. He can come play for my beloved A's any day, lol. As if we could ever afford him. Even though baseball is a business (as was mentioned earlier the gate revenue from his HR chase), I could see the Giants letting him go if the right offer came along.

Oakland let McGwire go when the general baseball consensus was that he was the most likely to break the single season HR record. Of course it was a contract year and they knew they couldnt afford him, and he went on to break it the next year. Or was it the year after?

I'm still mad at Laruso for sinking the ship and then gutting some of our talent via free-agency after he left.

Anyway, enen if SF wanted to take an offer for him, I cant see him leaving until after he breaks the all-time HR record as a Giant.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby swingaway » Wed May 05, 2004 7:36 am

heres a link to some more recent info on bonds it seems the the clip gives conflicting statements. Well anyway heres the link and judge for yourself(s).

http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/3918/news

Looks like 2005 is bonds final year or maybe not.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed May 05, 2004 9:33 am

The other thing about Bonds, in addition to his hitting, is that he pulls people into ballparks at a rate that few, if any, players can compete with. Trading him would cost them money, on top of the loss of his hitting to the team. I don't see that happening.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Wed May 05, 2004 10:07 am

Bloody Nipples wrote:That adds more incentive for the Giants to go trade for Beltran this year and then resign him for a long-term deal. One overlapping year with Bonds and the Giants would have a great shot at winning the world series in Bonds' last contract year.

Unless Bonds and Beltran can also pitch, that ain't gonna happen. ;-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers