Bonds to the Yankees. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bonds to the Yankees.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jayman » Tue May 04, 2004 10:46 pm

No, no. It's not about what SF gets. It's to honor Bonds. They want him to win. Just like Boston wanted Borque to win so they traded him to a contender ( i have no idea who they got for Borque).
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 04, 2004 10:51 pm

I was wondering who the hell Borque was but that last post gave it away, lol. :-b
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Zito is God » Tue May 04, 2004 10:51 pm

Yankees will not get Bonds, end of story. :-)

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby BronsonPinchot » Tue May 04, 2004 10:53 pm

Bonds SHOULD be traded...thats not even debateable. Unless the Giants expect to contend next year, which, I guess, is possible. Their team right now is comically bad...I get nauseaus looking at their roster...batters and pitchers. They didn't even remotely bother trying to win this season.
BronsonPinchot Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pedro » Tue May 04, 2004 10:55 pm

Maybe Bonds should be traded, but there's no reason why the Giants should get zero in return for one of the greatest players in the history of the game and the best hitter in the league bar none. That's ignorant.
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Zito is God » Tue May 04, 2004 10:56 pm

BronsonPinchot wrote:Bonds SHOULD be traded...thats not even debateable. Unless the Giants expect to contend next year, which, I guess, is possible. Their team right now is comically bad...I get nauseaus looking at their roster...batters and pitchers. They didn't even remotely bother trying to win this season.

I can't see anyone trading for Bonds because no owner is dumb enough to not realize that nothing will come of it. Is there a no trade clause in Bonds contract btw?

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pedro » Tue May 04, 2004 10:57 pm

Zito is God wrote:
BronsonPinchot wrote:Bonds SHOULD be traded...thats not even debateable. Unless the Giants expect to contend next year, which, I guess, is possible. Their team right now is comically bad...I get nauseaus looking at their roster...batters and pitchers. They didn't even remotely bother trying to win this season.

I can't see anyone trading for Bonds because no owner is dumb enough to not realize that nothing will come of it. Is there a no trade clause in Bonds contract btw?

From http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/01/15/sports/main324364.shtml

The Giants will defer $5 million of year's salary, money to be paid from 2007 to 2011. Bonds, who has a no-trade clause, gets $2.5 million of the signing bonus on April 1, $3.5 million on April 1, 2003, and $4 million on April 1, 2004.

Oh yeah a quote from Barry himself..

"No amount of money would make me leave San Francisco, to be honest with you. I always wanted to stay a San Francisco Giant," Bonds said. "Unless there was a blockbuster, out-of-the world offer, I wasn't going to leave."

"Peter Magowan made my childhood dream come true," Bonds said, referring to the Giants owner. "I was glad I was able to help myself and the organization to stay at home. I'm so excited right now I want to call my godfather (Willie Mays) up and tell him I get to play in his back yard the rest of my career."
Last edited by Pedro on Tue May 04, 2004 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 04, 2004 10:58 pm

Zito is God wrote:

He's a 10-and-5 player.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bloody Nipples » Tue May 04, 2004 11:12 pm

Bonds will never leave San Francisco. He wants to be in his hometown and play on the same team as the Willies and his dad, Bobby. I dont want him to leave for two reasons. 1, he would break the record somewhere other than SF, probably in the AL, which would taint the record because people, like me, would not appreciate that he left SF to extend his career just for the record. 2, the Giants could never get anybody remotely equal in return, other than Beltran, simply because Bonds IS the Giants.

That adds more incentive for the Giants to go trade for Beltran this year and then resign him for a long-term deal. One overlapping year with Bonds and the Giants would have a great shot at winning the world series in Bonds' last contract year.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Wed May 05, 2004 1:34 am

Rumors are flying around from everywhere. If anyone was watching the Bos/Cle game tonight you would of heard the announcers saying that the Yanks are reportedly interested in Omar Vizquel playing 2B for them. He's not a big bat but his defense will be alot more valueable to them than Wilson. They wouldnt have to give up a lot to get him and wouldnt have to break the bank either. I'd be surprised if the Yanks didnt do something about 2B. Adding a name OF like Beltran,Mags or even Bonds wouldnt help them as much getting some pitching or an upgrade at 2B. I would think the rumors surrounding those of big name soon to be FA OF's is less likely to happen for the Yanks than them addressing their more pressing needs.. pitching,2B.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers