Brett Myers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brett Myers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 04, 2004 9:13 pm

I didn't say all of the runs were all earned....I said all the HITS were earned...hits are different than runs. I don't need to watch the game to know that a pitcher who is pitching for his rotation spot, who gives up 10 hits, will lose it when Madson has pitched flawlessly out of the pen. Not sure why you're so reluctant to believe Myers is good...but face it, he shouldn't be in the rotation right now.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaQ » Tue May 04, 2004 9:15 pm

Here's a new game: Find another pitcher to replace Myers on your team. My short list of possibilities is Cliff Lee, Horacio Ramirez (have them), R.A. Dickey, Jake Westbrook and Sidney Ponson (don't have them) . Who's the best of those 5?
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hybrid » Tue May 04, 2004 9:19 pm

i was commenting to someone else about the earned runs. 1st inning 2 runs on 3 hits, 6th inning 1 run on 2 hits and a walk. the rest of the game he went 4 IP 5 H 0 ER 0 BB 4 k's. to me that shows a lot of progress. he had two bad innings. before this game more than half of his innings were bad. so yes it was good progress. and madson has pitched well out of the bull pen...i can name a number of many other pitchers who have. i still don't see why people want him so much over myers who has only had 3 bad games and has pitched well in the past. compared to some minor league starter who has looked good in the bull pen. though i will admit if he had a bad game again they possibly could of, but he made progress and i don't see why you would take him out when that happens.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby hybrid » Tue May 04, 2004 9:21 pm

DaQ wrote:Here's a new game: Find another pitcher to replace Myers on your team. My short list of possibilities is Cliff Lee, Horacio Ramirez (have them), R.A. Dickey, Jake Westbrook and Sidney Ponson (don't have them) . Who's the best of those 5?

i like cliff lee the best
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby osb » Tue May 04, 2004 9:28 pm

who's to say that madson is going to be that much better if inserted in the rotation?
osb
College Coach
College Coach

Location: somewhere in the hillbilly land of southwest Virginia

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 04, 2004 9:30 pm

osb wrote:who's to say that madson is going to be that much better if inserted in the rotation?

Nobody, but why not give him a chance? I'd say he earned it after pitching 16 scoreless innings or whatever it was.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby willieroe » Tue May 04, 2004 9:31 pm

hybrid wrote:I still don't see why people want him so much over myers who has only had 3 bad games and has pitched well in the past.

Which game of the 4 that Myers has started are you counting as "not bad"? Well, in his first start Bowa pulled Myers out because he couldn't get out of the 5th inning, so his stat line didn't look terrible - but really, if your starting pitcher can't go 5 innings then I would qualify that as a "bad" start.

And this continues a trend for Myers from August and September of 2003, in which I would qualify 7 of Myers' last 10 starts as "bad" and 5 of those as "very, very bad". :-D
willieroe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Tue May 04, 2004 9:38 pm

willieroe wrote:Which game of the 4 that Myers has started are you counting as "not bad"? Well, in his first start Bowa pulled Myers out because he couldn't get out of the 5th inning, so his stat line didn't look terrible - but really, if your starting pitcher can't go 5 innings then I would qualify that as a "bad" start.

And this continues a trend for Myers from August and September of 2003, in which I would qualify 7 of Myers' last 10 starts as "bad" and 5 of those as "very, very bad". :-D

well i would say your clueless if you need me to answer that question. of course i never said any were great, but this start doesn't qualify as bad. it was almost good if he got out of the 6th inning. he made good progess like i have said all along. also if someone uses the excuse of 6 runs again i will go insane, if you want to know what i thought about his start you need only look at what i've said. i don't think i can add any more now so if you want go ahead and bash him even though you never saw the game.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby willieroe » Tue May 04, 2004 9:47 pm

hybrid wrote:
willieroe wrote:Which game of the 4 that Myers has started are you counting as "not bad"? Well, in his first start Bowa pulled Myers out because he couldn't get out of the 5th inning, so his stat line didn't look terrible - but really, if your starting pitcher can't go 5 innings then I would qualify that as a "bad" start.

well i would say your clueless if you need me to answer that question. of course i never said any were great, but this start doesn't qualify as bad. it was almost good if he got out of the 6th inning. he made good progess like i have said all along. also if someone uses the excuse of 6 runs again i will go insane, if you want to know what i thought about his start you need only look at what i've said. i don't think i can add any more now so if you want go ahead and bash him even though you never saw the game.

Post All-Star game 2003: Myers' ERA 5.72, hitters BA .325
So far in 2004: Myers' ERA 6.20, hitters BA .376 (from ESPN real-time stats)
willieroe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Tue May 04, 2004 9:52 pm

i don't see the point in posting that. i know what his stats are and it is very common for a young pitcher to struggle in the second half of their first full year. now he is battling his mechanics.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers