Something im missing about Ishii? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Something im missing about Ishii?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Something im missing about Ishii?

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:16 am

I've noticed on CBS that a couple of leagues including mine have dropped Ishii from their teams. I picked him up thinking what morons they are. Sure he's no stud but he's a pretty good no.4,5 pitcher for your team i thought. But i was wondering if there was something wrong with him.. hurt or mentally messed up from the headshot last yr? Anyone heard? I dumped Jennings for Ishii which i couldnt be happier about. Pedro,Zito,Morris,Smoltz,Brown,Padilla,Ishii,Pineiro make up my staff (10 team-h2h)and i think that everyone of them are worth having on anyones team. Walks count as -0.5 against but he still seems to get wins. Well 1st half of last year he did anyway.Any info about Ishii would be appreciated. Thanks
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:48 am

I don't think that you have much to worry about bc you have a good staff anyway, but even before the possibly psychological damage from the headshot, Ishii was stinking up the place. It seemed like batters had figured him out and were hitting him hard. A lot of players do really well when they're first called into the league (did anybody here draft Benny Agbaini?) but their weaknesses are soon discovered and exploited. I think that's what happened to Ishii and probably what is going thru the minds of the other people in yr league as well.
Hank
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

ya

Postby rjforlife » Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:08 am

a better comparison than agbayani would be the pitcher, nomo.
this guys was good for 3 years, but each of the 3 years his era kept rising, in fact it rose from 2.54 in his rookie year each year for 4 seasons up to 5.05. then he had 3 bad years with hig 4 eras, and then the last 2 years he returned to form striking out an average over 200 and a respectable era.

bottom line. UP AND DOWN AND UP AND DOWN AND UP AND DOWN AND UP. who knows what will happen. will he start being bad now and never get good again? will he stay good for awhile longer and then tank it? will he peak this season and stay on a high plateau? no one knows, thus hes a gamble, but one worth taking over a colorado pitcher in my mind.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1284)

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:59 am

OK well if no injuries im willing to take a chance on him. Or wait till his trade value is up a little more anyway then trade him for someone who is slumping or maybe returning from an injury. Got W.Miller last year for Ishii about a wk before Miller returned from DL and before he went on to win 11 in a row. hehe
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kcs261 » Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:50 pm

Ishii has actually had a really good spring. The problem with the guy is that he walks so many batters, raising his WHIP to a high level. But it's only his second season in the majors, so for a 5th or 6th starter, I'd take a shot on Ishii. He plays on a good team & can get Ks.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DGroundhog » Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:49 pm

Ishii ans Burkett almost cost my 3-peating my league last year. Luckily I was able to trade them away after good starts.

After getting rid of their atrocious WHIP numbers, I climbed from 3rd to 1st and never looked back. I'd consider grabbing him off waivers for Jennings, but I wouldn't be depending on him as a starter.

Maybe pitch him at home against a poor hitting team, but that's about it.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby metsfan1969 » Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:05 am

You really don't need him do you? Maybe see what happens early and if it doesn't work out, dump him for somebody else. I hope he makes it though after all he has been through.
Well Look who has come to the cafe, It's Mr. Met!
metsfan1969

Cafe Writer

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:13 am

metsfan1969 wrote:You really don't need him do you? Maybe see what happens early and if it doesn't work out, dump him for somebody else. I hope he makes it though after all he has been through.

I do need him really. We have to start 7 pitchers. And having injury prone Brown and Pedro i need to have someone solid in case one of them goes down. And i was thinking Ishii is a better pick than Jennings. WHIP,era and that stuff doesnt count.. of course -1 for ER -0.5 for BB or H. But he cant be worse than a Colorado pitcher.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers