things to ponder - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

things to ponder

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

things to ponder

Postby it'sbeenawhile » Fri Jun 07, 2002 7:05 pm

So interleague play starts today and it does open up some interesting matchup and pitching duels (See- Weaver vs. Padilla).

Anyway, what's everybody's thoughts on interleague play? Does it compromise the integrity of the game? Is there a letdown when the World Series rolls around because the two teamsd have already played each other?

Also, what kind of advantage do you think pitchers have during interleague play? More often than not, hitters in each league will be seeing a pitcher that they've only seen on Sportscenter. I think it gives a great advantage to the pitchers---at least I hope it does because I have two starters taking the mound tonight.

Late,
Shreeps
it'sbeenawhile

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Fri Jun 07, 2002 7:17 pm

I'm neither fanatically for nor against interleague play. The novelty has worn off, though, and I probably wouldn't miss it if it were removed.

Hope your starters do well! (*)

(*) This offer only valid when facing hitters other than those on Arlo's team...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EugeneStyles » Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:31 pm

I think interleague play is great. The fact that each team only faces about 5 teams from the other league keeps it pretty exciting. It's like, "wow, the Cubbies are playing in Seattle tonight. gotta watch that, it'll be my only chance for a couple years." And it does seem to give a little bit of advantage to the pitchers. Since a lot of purists complain about expansion thinning out pitching and increasing HR's, this should decrease that concern a little bit.

As for previews of the World Series... it's not really all that likely that 2 teams that meet during the regular season will also meet in the Series, but even if they do, they've only played a few games against each other. More than anything, it just gives you some matchups to look forward to and kind of whets your appetite for the action to come.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby chuckr37 » Sat Jun 08, 2002 1:04 am

The Cubs-Mariners game just got over, my team lost :~( But it was a good game and gave me a chance to see Prior pitch and Sammy slug one out. Both Prior and Pinero pitched real good games they each made a couple of mistake pitches but the M's didn't get it done. Congrats to Eugene and his Cubbies. :-B
chuckr37
College Coach
College Coach

Postby EugeneStyles » Sat Jun 08, 2002 10:30 am

I've been looking forward to this series all season. I get to see Ichiro play for pretty much the first time since I went to Japan and saw him at the Tokyo Dome, and my Cubs finally stop playing the dang Brewers. That, and Olerud is one of my favorite players. (I suppose I could have watched Seattle play the White Sox, but there's just something I can't stomach about watching the ChiSox play... that, and their announcers always put me to sleep.)

How about Corey P. shagging flyballs in center? I thought Prior was dead to rights on those, but Patterson bailed him out. An excellent pitching duel all around.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby chuckr37 » Sat Jun 08, 2002 10:46 am

It was a great game, I don't have a problem in watching the M's lose a game like that, now if I was a Rangers fan I probably would be out buying a new TV this morning. I pity the poor fool who had Park pitching last night! With some of the questionable ball and strike calls last night you might even get the bonus of a Lou tirade. Not that the calls had anything to do with the outcome of the game. Today we get Clement vs. Garcia should be another good game. :->
chuckr37
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers