Thoughts on Mr. Luis Castillo... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Mr. Luis Castillo...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Mr. Luis Castillo...

Postby chinch sacs » Tue May 04, 2004 1:44 am

I havent heard too much from the Cafe on him (didnt look too hard though :-B )

What do you think about his slow start? Is he masking an injury? Do you think he will finish the year with his normal respectible #'s?

*NOTE* please leave you insight also if you have seen him play lately, has he lost a step, uncomfortible at the plate, etc...

Thanks guys! ;-D
Fantasy sports are ruled by the 50-50-90 rule...

Anytime you have a 50/50 choice between two players, 90% of the time, you'll get it wrong
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EK711 » Tue May 04, 2004 3:31 am

Sorry about the long post, but this is something I've been thinking about for the past week and this looks like the perfect spot to see what others think on my take of the situation.

If you're referring to Castillos SBs so far it's not coming as a big shock to me. This year just further confirms that the days of Castillo getting 40+ stolen bases is long gone. Not that Castillo is no longer a threat on the basepaths. I thought his role became redefined last year when the Marlins added Pierre and Castillo moved down to the 2 spot. Pierre gets the green light when Castillo is at the plate because Castillo isn't a big run producer, while Castillo is now batting in front of the red hot Miguel Cabrera. With the way Cabrera is hitting you can't blame a manager for not giving him the green light to take a bag more often. Why run yourself out of an inning when you got a guy like Cabrera, plus if Cabrera won't get it done you got Lowell right behind him and so far at the beginning of the year add Choi to the mix.

The thing that did shock me so far is Pierre's SB total thus far compared to other big base stealers he should be able to equal. The same thing could be what is hurting Pierre's stolen base total as Castillo though. Last year Pierre had 65 SBs, this year he only has 7 (that's a pace to only get 45). While Castillo's current total projects out to 25. Not bad, but a far cry from years past. The Marlins this year haven't needed to manufacture runs that much. As long as they continue to win the way they have been playing I wouldn't expect much to change. I suppose it could also be that Castillos hip is still bothering him. But, that doesn't explain Pierre's dropoff in SBs.

On draft day I took some stock out of Castillo because of his stolen base totals when Pierre came over. But not only are Castillos SBs off pace from years past, so are Pierre's while he's boasting a OBP way over his career avg of .416. If this trend continues then both Pierre and Castillo stand to lose 20 attempts at swiping a bag.

I drafted Pierre figuring that he would own steals for me and wondered what was up with guys like pods and roberts doubling him up in SBs. I don't know if this is a definative answer to Castillo, but I strongly feel it's a big part of a little change in the way Florida is playing there games which will effect the stats for both Castillo and Pierre in a pretty big way. I don't blame Pierre or Castillo for their dropoffs that they've experienced so far. I blame the more potent Marlin offense behind them.

Castillos bat should heat up and he'll probably still be able to get his avg back up to .300, score 100 runs, and even drive in 60+ with the way the marlins are playing. But as long as the sluggers keep producing I would expect at the most 30 SBs from Castillo.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby EK711 » Tue May 04, 2004 12:32 pm

*bump* I'm really interested in what others think on my take. Am I way off base with this?

Any other opinions?
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Apollo » Tue May 04, 2004 12:47 pm

When the Marlins changed managers last year, steal attempts dropped off for everybody on the team (see Derek Lee, who had 10 of his 21 steals in April). The overall team numbers were still high, though, so the trend was kind of ignored going into draft day this year. At the start of the year I would have said that 45 steals for Pierre and 20 for Castillo were good predictions.

They're still a fast club, so they have to use that. But McKeon isn't going to run wild, especially with the sluggers hitting the way they are. Don't expect the pace to pick up too much.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby daveblotto » Tue May 04, 2004 12:53 pm

I'm more concerned about his lagging Batting Avg. I'm ok with 20-25 steals if the guy hits .300 and has some RBI's.
daveblotto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Pedantic » Tue May 04, 2004 12:58 pm

Castillo has not had a particularly spectacular percentage of success. I imagine McKeon is more reluctant to use him since he is more often caught stealing than others.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby coolarmadillo » Tue May 04, 2004 1:15 pm

EK711, i think you are dead on, 100% right...wish i'd seen that coming when i drafted pierre...never been a big fan of the speed guys with no power, but i also always lack in steals...so, i gave in and took what i thought would be the #1 speed guy. damn.
coolarmadillo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby GSes » Tue May 04, 2004 1:41 pm

Pedantic wrote:Castillo has not had a particularly spectacular percentage of success. I imagine McKeon is more reluctant to use him since he is more often caught stealing than others.

Castillo fantasy value relies greatly on how manyt bags he swipes. He only stole 21 last season and has dont nothin this season.

Castillo fantasy value is decreasing.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby EK711 » Tue May 04, 2004 1:44 pm

I think Pedantic has a very good point though. He only got 21 last year.... But was caught 19 times!! Yikes 8-o !
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby stumpak » Tue May 04, 2004 5:09 pm

He is at best an average option at 2B. He will hit .300 with 20 SBs, but that is it. Historically, he is an injury risk. His speed is going, look at his poor SB/CS percentage from last season.

There is no way he compares to the Giles, Youngs and Boones of the world, and frankly he will not do a heck of a lot more for you than Placido Polanco or Mark Lorretta.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers