Trade help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade help

Postby rauluga » Thu Mar 14, 2002 6:19 pm

I'm in an NL only 12 team 5x5 league. I've been offered Smoltz $1 for Berkman $10 and T. Walker $10.
Any thoughts? This seems like a good deal because a $1 saves you about $20+ and I could easily pick up a better OF with $20+.
rauluga
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Don't Do It

Postby Chicago » Thu Mar 14, 2002 7:20 pm

If you're talking about trading Lance Berkman, one of the top 10 outfielders in the entire league, for a has-been pitcher who might have a decent season at a low salary, the choice is obvious: FOR GOD SAKE DON'T DO IT! Why would you even consider this trade? Why dump salary when you're losing one of the top 20 players in the league in the process. The money you would save couldn't be spent on another player of Berkman's caliber, they should have all been snapped up at draft time, right? The only reason I could imagine is that you drafted too many stars at too high of price, and had no money left to fill all your positions, so you'd need to get rid of a star to snap up some mediocre players. But why not wait until the season starts to do that? That way, you'll get a look at who's playing where, and who is an early surprise. Just one man's opinion, but also the right one.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

To Add

Postby Chicago » Thu Mar 14, 2002 7:24 pm

To help you further understand, MLB Fantasy Baseball ranks Berkman #10 out of ALL outfields in the league, and have set his fantasy value at $34. They also have this to say about him:

A bopper at Enron Field, who hits between Jeff Bagwell and Richard Hidalgo. That should be sufficient information, but just in case -- .331-34-126. At 26, he's getting better, and it's doubtful he'll get lazy after signing a three-year contract this offseason. The Astros know what they have in Berkman and he's about as automatic as it gets.
Consider the handle of steals he'll give you as gravy.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

hmm

Postby cwebb » Thu Mar 14, 2002 11:22 pm

Yeah, chicago is right, there may be a lot of depth among outfielders but trading a top OF for a good pitcher ain't worth it...
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby rauluga » Thu Mar 14, 2002 11:59 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I have a very good pool of offesne headed into the draft and thought trading a good hitter for a closer would be a good move. My concern with Berkman was his dramatic drop off after the All-Star break last year.
rauluga
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Arlo » Fri Mar 15, 2002 5:22 am

Hmmm... Interesting offer. Any time you have a chance to pick up a closer (and Smoltz isn't headed back to the rotation any time soon) who only costs a buck it's definitely worth considering. Nevertheless, as Chicago pointed out, Berkman is also far below value (although $34 seems slightly high, considering of depth in the NL). His stats did drop off in August, but I'd attribute that to fatigue in his first full season in the majors. He should have made the adjustment by this year and will be a star for many years to come.

Anyway, I wouldn't make this trade unless you are absolutely desperate for saves. Even then, I'd try and trade a different hitter instead of Berkman, who could be something special indeed.

Who else is on your roster? Make a counter offer - if you can pick up Smoltz at that price by giving up somebody not quite as good (and nicely priced) as Berkman, it's worth a little time spent negotiating. Good luck!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rauluga » Sun Mar 17, 2002 1:01 am

Kept Berkman and manged to make a lesser trade for Mike Williams, didn't give up any one from my keeper list.
rauluga
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Arlo » Sun Mar 17, 2002 1:33 pm

Sounds like you were able to make a good deal. Williams is a bit underrated. Sure, he's not as flashy as some other closers, but a save is a save. Plus, he has a firm hold on the job.

Sounds great!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

good work

Postby gypsyspot » Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:44 pm

Berkman is the man. Good work.
I know the future!!!!!!!
gypsyspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:02 pm

Good moves. Just one thing, why do you have Berkman and Todd Walker for 10 bucks a piece? Ship Walker off if you can to someone.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers