How much is Jeff Kent worth? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How much is Jeff Kent worth?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How much is Jeff Kent worth?

Postby Spike » Sun Mar 23, 2003 7:49 pm

I'm in a Yahoo league that is 12 teams, 21 players on the roster and a standard 5x5.

At 2B, I have both Alfonso Soriano and Jeff Kent (how? don't ask me!).

I'm figuring that both are worth a heck of a lot, but having Kent as my Util player isn't worth as much as I might be able to get for him.

Here's the rest of my roster:

C - Hall
1B - Sexson
2B - Soriano
3B - Chavez
SS - Hernandez (Col)
OF - Manny, Juan Gone and Vernon Wells
Util - Kent
Bench - Mo Vaughn and Frank Thomas (I have a claim in for Kearns in place of Vaughn)

SP - Morris, Hudson, Rodrigo Lopez, Prior, Miller, Leiter, Dempster and Beckett (I have a claim for Scott Williamson in place of Dempster)
RP - Looper and Rhodes

(Yes, it's ridiculous to me that I got so lucky with my team.)

My question:

How much is Kent worth? I'm thinking I do one of 3 things:

1. Upgrade my SPs for someone like Pedro Martinez by offering something like Kent and Miller for him.
2. Upgrade my RPs. (No thoughts yet on a deal.)
3. Upgrade my OFs. Juan Gone doesn't thrill me. (I got him in the 11th round of the auto-draft.)

Sorry about the length of this, but I wanted to provide all of what I thought was useful information.

Thanks!
My children, sports, beer and women...
Spike
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:08 pm

Well, it looks like you've got a really solid team (with the exception of closers who aren't that important in 5x5 anyway). In your situation, I would try to find who needs a 2b and see what needs they could fill. If they could fill all of them, I think I'd go for a starter like you mentioned. Kent and Leiter should be able to get you anyone (maybe not RJ) to headline yr staff.
Sorry I'm not more helpful, but it seems like you've got a pretty good handle on the whole thing.
Hank
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:38 pm

I dont know if im the only one that thinks this but is Soriano gonna have the same year he had like last year? Kent is a sure bet.. i'd be willing to give up Soriano instead.. hes more valueable to others anyway.. Kent is 2nd best to have anyway and maybe you could pull in a couple of players.. maybe a better SS and an OF with Soriano and Jaun Gone.. maybe a Normar,Tejada type SS with a better OF or SP. Thats just what i would do because i think ppl think Soriano is way better than anyone else at his position. When Kent will do more than fine for you.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby eftda » Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:58 pm

Soriano will have the sb, and hits, maybe not the hr

trade kent or soriano for an of, and drop/trade juan gone
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Guru_fbc » Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:07 am

i think your pitching is pretty well set: morris, hudson, prior, miller, and beckett sounds solid to me.
The Guru_fbc
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby MookieNJ » Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:41 am

I would keep Kent and trade Soriano. I like Kent playing in one of the top hitters' parks in Houston, and it is very unlikely that Soriano's value could possibly higher than it is now. I would try to upgrade your outfield by offering up Soriano ... you could probably demand and get a lot!
-Mark

Please rate my team here:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=103801
MookieNJ
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

I'd rather keep Soriano...

Postby Spike » Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:30 am

...because he ALSO gets SBs, which Kent does not get. Soriano's one of my only SB threats and I'd rather not give that category away.
My children, sports, beer and women...
Spike
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:52 am

I see no reason for you to trade Kent or Soriano unless you get blown away with a deal. Kent's numbers in Houston could be as good as any hitter you could get for him and Soriano is good for 30/30, giving you some much needed steals. That's great to have them both. Maybe trade one of them if you get an elite closer, ie Benetez, Wagner, Nenn, Gagne, and someone else of quality. Otherwise, I think you are better off keeping them both.

As for Juan Gonzalez, if he's healthy, he's a top outfielder, especially batting behind A-Rod and Palmeiro in Texas. I'm sure there are good outfielders on the free agent wire too, so I don't think having Juan start should concern you that much.

Your pitching is great, by the way. No need to be trading for an injury-prone Pedro unless the price is pretty fair. You can get a lot of wins and strikeouts with the bunch you got already.

Good luck

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Yo

Postby B Dizzle » Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:54 am

Keep em' both, sit back, and watch your league struggle with finding second baseman half as good as those two.
Mark Prior for MVP
B Dizzle
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby 3Ks » Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:44 pm

I would hold onto both right now as well. I managed to get both on my team last year and ran away with the lead. Unless someone's lusting after Soriano and giving you a great deal, hold tight.
3Ks

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers