Is Anyone Wathing Baseball Tonight? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Anyone Wathing Baseball Tonight?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JamesBond007 » Mon May 03, 2004 6:20 pm

I'll take guys like Harold Reynolds and Kruk anyday. I'd much rather hear commentary from REAL BASEBALL PLAYERS who spent 10+ years in the majors, played in the World Series ,and know the game than read commentary from a bunch of people who the closest they've ever come ot the game is when they type "baseball" into the http://WWW.fantasybaseballcafe.com.
-----J
JamesBond007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Mon May 03, 2004 6:28 pm

Absolutely ridiculous. Reynolds is on the wacky tabbacky. Rollins is a horrible offensive player who scores more runs only because of his spot in the batting order.

Last year, when Rollins batted 1st or 2nd, he had:

437 ABs, .304 OBP, 69 Runs

When he batted 6th, 7th, or 8th,

185 ABs, .364 OBP, 16 Runs

So at the top of the order, he scores a run every 6.3 at bats even with a horrible OBP. At the bottom of the order, he scores a run every 11.6 at bats with a great OBP.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby HOOTIE » Sun May 09, 2004 12:21 am

Pedro wrote:Okay I didn't see the piece the first time, but I just watched it.

Reynolds did have a legit argument, he was basically arguing against certain types of guys with high OBP likes Giambi, Frank Thomas and Varitek. The reason is because they rarely score even when they do get on base.

He was supporting the likes of Rollins and Jeter because they scored a majority of the time they get on base.

So in that regard, he has a legit case.

He also was ranting against the, what I refer to as, the "Stat Age" of baseball.

I somewhat agree with him that OPS and the like are somewhat overrated..but that's for another topic.

Reynolds argument was far from legit. BOBBYROBERTO seems to have a grasp on reality. It's about creating runs, not making outs. This scenerio is rather easy.

Rollins CREATED 78 runs last year, while making 491 outs.

Varitek CREATED 80 runs, while making 352 outs.

This is grade school math folks. Variek CREATED 2 more runs, and made 139 FEWER outs then Rollins doing it. For those who agree on Rollins, you must like making outs.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby thetruth » Sun May 09, 2004 12:24 am

reynolds makes a habit of saying stupid stuff. the thing is with those types of shows they have to come up with segments that are interesting, so it cant just be a lovefest with everyone agreeing. i think they sometimes take points too far for the sake of creating more time filler.
thetruth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: ...

Postby HOOTIE » Sun May 09, 2004 12:27 am

JamesBond007 wrote:I'll take guys like Harold Reynolds and Kruk anyday. I'd much rather hear commentary from REAL BASEBALL PLAYERS who spent 10+ years in the majors, played in the World Series ,and know the game than read commentary from a bunch of people who the closest they've ever come ot the game is when they type "baseball" into the http://WWW.fantasybaseballcafe.com.

Playing doesn't make you know bb, and not being a pro doesn't mean you don't know the game. Many a scout and gm didn't play pro. How many years did Bill James play? Pete Palmer? Ron Shandler?

Reynolds is a pleasant fellow, but saying Rollins had more value then Varitek is pure nonsense.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Re: ...

Postby thetruth » Sun May 09, 2004 12:28 am

HOOTIE wrote:
JamesBond007 wrote:I'll take guys like Harold Reynolds and Kruk anyday. I'd much rather hear commentary from REAL BASEBALL PLAYERS who spent 10+ years in the majors, played in the World Series ,and know the game than read commentary from a bunch of people who the closest they've ever come ot the game is when they type "baseball" into the http://WWW.fantasybaseballcafe.com.

Playing doesn't make you know bb, and not being a pro doesn't mean you don't know the game. Many a scout and gm didn't play pro. How many years did Bill James play? Pete Palmer? Ron Shandler?

Reynolds is a pleasant fellow, but saying Rollins had more value then Varitek is pure nonsense.

anyone remember the ron shandler thread !+)
thetruth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Longhorns76 » Sun May 09, 2004 2:28 am

I wish Buck Shoewalter can do Baseball tonight and manage the Rangers at the same time.
"Relievers are like volatile stocks. They're the one asset you need to watch closely, and trade for quick profits." --Billy Beane
Longhorns76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thetongueofire » Sun May 09, 2004 2:58 am

i dont watch Baseball Tonight anymore :-t

saying that Rollins is better than Varitek is beyond irrelevant and stupid..... anways OPS is prolly the best indicator of a hitters performance out of all the conventional stats cos it measures both the hitters ability to make it easier for his team to score by gaining bases and to not make an out (or to get on base, whatever you wanna say). contrary to common beliefs that only the Sox, A's, Dodgers and Blue Jays are "sabermetrical" teams most teams have OPS really high in their list of evaluating prospects and current hitters value. H, R and RBI's dont work nearly as well cos theyre sorta circumstantial...
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers