Is Anyone Wathing Baseball Tonight? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Anyone Wathing Baseball Tonight?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sun May 02, 2004 9:17 pm

I would have to agree with Kruk being an idiot. He was good on The Best Damn Sports Show Period, but that was only cause he brought emotion and controversy to the show. On Baseball Tonight, he tries to add intelligence and good points to his bag of tricks, but that just doesnt work when youre a fat guy with a mullet, especially when you dont have nearly the same amount of brains as fat or hair :-D . There was an article on ESPN.com's Page 2, where all he did was rant about how bad American Idol is and other things about pop-culture, all in short, declaratice sentences. That was quite possibly the worst piece of journalistic material I have ever read, both gramatically and content-wise.

As you can see, I dont really like Kruk and his style.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby federo » Sun May 02, 2004 9:42 pm

One of the dumbest things I've heard in a while. He is fast approaching Joe Morgan territory. It's funny that he never once mentioned outs and how important it is for a hitter to avoid them. Outs are the most important thing in baseball and that's why OBP is such a good stat. By disregarding it he is basically saying outs don't matter.

And then when he started throwing out runs created by HR I could hardly believe what I was hearing. Umm, Harold, HR are a PART of OBP! Taking away Frank Thomas' 42 HR and saying he scored 45 runs with a high OBP is crazy and wrong. Without Thomas' HR his OBP falls more than 40 points to below .350. By taking out runs from Varitek's HR Reynolds reduced Varitek's OBP BELOW Rollins' terrible .320 OBP.

The Varitek/Rollins comparison was incredibly dumb. Rollins hit at the top of the order most of last year while Varitek was at the bottom, and Rollins had nearly 200 more plate appearances. In fact, Varitek scored slightly MORE runs per plate appearance than Rollins last year, and Thomas scored more as well. Of course it is true that faster guys will score more from first base than sluggers like Varitek and Thomas, but it doesn't matter if they are creating far more outs to go along with their lack of power.

I don't know Reynolds in RL, maybe he isn't really an idiot, but he sure plays one on TV.
federo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby G-Man » Sun May 02, 2004 9:52 pm

federo wrote:One of the dumbest things I've heard in a while. He is fast approaching Joe Morgan territory.

LOL, but let's not get carried away here....I love how Joe Morgan never understands when Jon Miller makes a joke and either answers the joke seriously or makes some "insightful" follow-up comment.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GSes » Sun May 02, 2004 10:14 pm

Not to mention that Varitek only played every 4/5 days since Mirabeli catches for Wake & catchers need much off time anyway.

Very stupid comparison. But he is correct in simple sense yes Rollins scored more runs then Tek.
The Varitek/Rollins comparison was incredibly dumb. Rollins hit at the top of the order most of last year while Varitek was at the bottom, and Rollins had nearly 200 more plate appearances. In fact, Varitek scored slightly MORE runs per plate appearance than Rollins last year, and Thomas scored more as well. Of course it is true that faster guys will score more from first base than sluggers like Varitek and Thomas, but it doesn't matter if they are creating far more outs to go along with their lack of power.

I don't know Reynolds in RL, maybe he isn't really an idiot, but he sure plays one on TV.[/quote]
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby spamnon » Sun May 02, 2004 10:47 pm

Bloody Nipples wrote:I would have to agree with Kruk being an idiot. He was good on The Best Damn Sports Show Period, but that was only cause he brought emotion and controversy to the show. On Baseball Tonight, he tries to add intelligence and good points to his bag of tricks, but that just doesnt work when youre a fat guy with a mullet, especially when you dont have nearly the same amount of brains as fat or hair :-D . There was an article on ESPN.com's Page 2, where all he did was rant about how bad American Idol is and other things about pop-culture, all in short, declaratice sentences. That was quite possibly the worst piece of journalistic material I have ever read, both gramatically and content-wise.

As you can see, I dont really like Kruk and his style.

I definitely agree with everyone who said the kruk is a moron! did anyone catch his analysis of Mussina? He said that he going to become more of a Greg Maddux/Tom Glavine pitcher now because his velocity is down. He said we should expect 2-3 Ks a start from him, not 10-11. He's been in the 200 Ks a year range for most of his career. Last year he had 195 in 31 starts (6.1 Ks a game).

Listening to the yankees announcers today, they were saying that Moose was out of his routine since he missed a week in spring training when his father in law died. He has been slumping but he might have turned the corner today vs the royals. How about last year when he started 6-0? Mussina is still an ace, and will end up with his 200 Ks.

Don't listen to a word Kruk says. He should have stayed on "The Best Damn Sports Show" that way he could look intelligent when ranking on Tom Arnold and his ex-wife rosanne.
spamnon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mtarail » Mon May 03, 2004 12:14 am

I don't think Kruk is so bad. I'll take him over Valentine ANY DAY! !+)
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jbones733 » Mon May 03, 2004 12:37 am

no way I love Bobby V

glad to see my fellow acfe members agree w Kruk being a MORON.

he ripped the big hurt him & reyniolds for getting on base 50% of the time. said he should drive on more runs

Then h hits a GW homer today & they say wow that just cleared the fences.

Where the Hell is Peter Gammons. the man, the myth, the legend
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Pedro » Mon May 03, 2004 12:37 am

Okay I didn't see the piece the first time, but I just watched it.

Reynolds did have a legit argument, he was basically arguing against certain types of guys with high OBP likes Giambi, Frank Thomas and Varitek. The reason is because they rarely score even when they do get on base.

He was supporting the likes of Rollins and Jeter because they scored a majority of the time they get on base.

So in that regard, he has a legit case.

He also was ranting against the, what I refer to as, the "Stat Age" of baseball.

I somewhat agree with him that OPS and the like are somewhat overrated..but that's for another topic.
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby federo » Mon May 03, 2004 6:09 pm

>>> Reynolds did have a legit argument, he was basically arguing against certain types of guys with high OBP likes Giambi, Frank Thomas and Varitek. The reason is because they rarely score even when they do get on base. <<<

But every time they do get on base they are preventing an out, causing the pitcher to throw more pitches and increasing the chance that their team will score a run. And for a lot of these hitters their patience is the key to their success because it keeps them from swinging at bad pitches and gets them good pitches to hit instead. There's no better example of this than Sammy Sosa and how much better he got when he became more patient. A lot of times hitters like Bonds, Giambi and Thomas get nothing to hit and are forced to either walk or swing at pitches they don't like. These are huge factors that Reynolds totally ignored. He acts as if outs are meaningless. Sure, Rollins will score more from first than Varitek or Giambi, but it doesn't make up for all the extra outs he creates. He also only had a 60% SB rate last year, which is terrible. It would have been better if he never tried to steal at all last year.

>>> He was supporting the likes of Rollins and Jeter because they scored a majority of the time they get on base. <<<

He didn't say a majority, just more. And Jeter is a totally different case from Rollins because he actually had a great OBP last year.
federo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby federo » Mon May 03, 2004 6:16 pm

Another dumb thing Reynolds did is even bring up Varitek at all. He doesn't walk a lot, just 53 times last year with an barely over .350. I think he singled him out just because he's a catcher who doesn't play every day and bats at the bottom of the order, thus scoring very few runs.
federo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers