Is Anyone Wathing Baseball Tonight? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Anyone Wathing Baseball Tonight?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Anyone Wathing Baseball Tonight?

Postby KPucks » Sun May 02, 2004 7:25 pm

Did you just see the segment about OBP? Harold Reynolds was saying that a guy like Jimmy Rollins (.309 OBP) is more valuable to a team than a guy like Varitek (an OBP near .400 last year) b/c Rollins scored more runs. That is total bull. The only reason Rollins scored more runs is because his teammates drove him in more. In the end, Varitek had way more chance to score runs, his teammates didn't drive him in. If I was a manager, I would want the guy that has more chances to score than the guy that got lucky and scored more despite being on less. What do you guys think?
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yin_Xu88 » Sun May 02, 2004 7:29 pm

this has nothing to do with wut harnold said, but i just cant stand the new guy on that show

hes always talkin about juan pierre, and how hes soo great, he even said that pierre is more dominat then Bonds
Yin_Xu88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pedro » Sun May 02, 2004 7:30 pm

If I was a manager or GM I would value OBP above all else.

But in the case of Rollins vs Varitek he does have a somewhat valid point.

Rollins was more valuable to his team than Varitek simply because he scored more runs. It's hard to argue with that fact.

But that specific case aside, not looking at runs scored as it is more dependant on the protection you have and your line-up, anyone with the higher OBP is obviously more valuable.

Reynolds has gotten dumb this year...I swear.
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pedro » Sun May 02, 2004 7:31 pm

Yin_Xu88 wrote:this has nothing to do with wut harnold said, but i just cant stand the new guy on that show

hes always talkin about juan pierre, and how hes soo great, he even said that pierre is more dominat then Bonds

Who...Kruk? :-B
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bibsybob » Sun May 02, 2004 7:31 pm

harold reynolds is pretty dumb ive realized that a long time ago. ESPN picks up analysts that are stupid and narrowminded. When they try to argue with logic, i laugh
bibsybob
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yin_Xu88 » Sun May 02, 2004 7:34 pm

yes kruk :-t
Yin_Xu88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KPucks » Sun May 02, 2004 7:38 pm

Pedro wrote:If I was a manager or GM I would value OBP above all else.

But in the case of Rollins vs Varitek he does have a somewhat valid point.

Rollins was more valuable to his team than Varitek simply because he scored more runs. It's hard to argue with that fact.

I agree that Rollins was more valuable from a runs standpoint last year, but Reynolds was saying that he would rather have Rollins any year. I seriously think that he an Kruk are on some illegal drugs that mage them not think logically.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby G-Man » Sun May 02, 2004 7:53 pm

bibsybob wrote:harold reynolds is pretty dumb ive realized that a long time ago. ESPN picks up analysts that are stupid and narrowminded. When they try to argue with logic, i laugh

You are so right....last year he jocked bobby v all season. he really contributes nothing to the show. as the sports guy says, the Unintentional Comedy Factor is off the charts.

at least kruk oftentimes provides unique perspective, even if his comments are a bit absurd most of the time.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sun May 02, 2004 8:43 pm

There's no way that Rollins was more valuable than Varitek, just because he scored more runs. What's the most precious thing an offense has? 27 outs. Avoiding making an out should be priority #1 for a hitter.

Rollins came to the plate 682 times and got on base 219 times (.320 obp). He accounted for an out 463 times last season and scored 85 runs.

Varitek got on base 174 out of 502 plate-appearances (.351 obp) and accounting for 328 outs and scored 63 runs.

If Reynolds wants to use runs scored as the reason a player has "value" why not use RBI? Varitek had 85 to Rollins' 62. In my mind, both numbers are so lineup-dependent that they aren't good measures anyway, but Harold Reynolds shouldn't be so ignorant as to use one and not the other.

If you add Runs and RBI, this is what you get:

Varitek: 148 r+rbi in 502 plate appearances
Rollins: 147 r+rbi in 682 plate appearances

That's the same amount of production, except for the 135 extra outs that Rollins cost the team.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby hybrid » Sun May 02, 2004 9:11 pm

you have to understand the show is for your average joe that watches baseball. not people that are heavily into it and analyze stats as much as most fantasy baseball owners do. and for the average person that watches baseball they are probably right on their level.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers