Finley for Ward? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Finley for Ward?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Finley for Ward?

Postby AirTimid » Fri Jun 07, 2002 8:46 am

I have Daryle Ward and someone has offered me Steve Finley for him. Finley is having a good year, although his average is low. Conversely, Ward is hitting for average, but isn't producing. Should I accept this trade? I play in a 5x5 Yahoo league. Currently i'm in 2nd last place (mainly because my entire team is slumping and injured, DAMN YOU KEVIN BROWN!!!). My hitting has be especially bad.
AirTimid
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Fri Jun 07, 2002 10:39 am

Both are good. Finley seems to be heating up, while Ward's power should come around soon. Go by your needs - if you need power (and maybe a bit of speed), grab Finley; if you need to maintain average, stay put. In terms of pure value (in a non-keeper league), Finley probably has a slight edge, but base this decision on your needs.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby zpalm » Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:39 pm

I'd take finley and run. He looks to have his Power back. He isn't quit getting the Rbi's he should be if he continues to hit taters they should come especially in the Zona lineup. They are putting up runs. He has 11 dongs and is on pace to steal 18 stolen bases.

If you stretch Finley #'s out he should be good for 33 hr's and 18 stolen bases, since we are a third of the way through the season.

But i still think Finley will up his average to his usual .280. Look at finley's 2000 #'s i think he is in line to produce a little worse than this but much better than is 2001 #'s.

Ward on the other hand has not been hitting any Dongs, what does he have like 2 on the year and he isn't walking. He won't hit over .300 without walking.

Take finley
zpalm
College Coach
College Coach

Postby uanap » Fri Jun 07, 2002 2:39 pm

I would have to advise against taking this offer. I actually have Ward on my team and have been happy with him. He was supposed to have more power than he showed so far this year, but he'll come around. I'm confident.

Finley is constantly being juggled in the Arizona lineup and is a notoriously streaky hitter. When he's on there's none better, but when he's off he just plain awful. If you want to suffer his ups and downs good luck. But for my money I'd keep Ward.
uanap
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby vaevictiskgb » Fri Jun 07, 2002 3:43 pm

The only consideration that you should have inthis deal is the contract status of each player. Even though you are only a third of the way through the season, second from last is difficult to overcome. Ward should have a relatively low price tag on him (for your keepers next year), and Finley's should be between 9 and 17. If Ward is under 5, then don't do the deal. If he's over five, it may be worth the risk. Ward's bat has slowed down from 2 years ago, and his power numbers have suffered, even though he's still making contact. He may be a useless player in two years if he can't turn it around.
vaevictiskgb
T-Ball Trainer

Postby EugeneStyles » Fri Jun 07, 2002 5:53 pm

zpalm wrote:He has 11 dongs and is on pace to steal 18 stolen bases.

Wow!!! 11 dongs! 8-o Must be tough to steal 18 bases with all that extra weight hangin' around. %-6
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby AirTimid » Sun Jun 09, 2002 12:15 am

I took the trade. I'm in a Yahoo 5x5 non-keeper league. Ward has a bigger upside, but he hasn't been very productive thus far. Hopefully Finley keeps this up.
AirTimid
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby uanap » Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:09 am

Ok, I can admit when it looks like I am wrong. I thought Eard could keep it up but apparantly he's now fighting for time. Looks like you made a good call on this one.
uanap
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers