Pat Tillman has just been awarded the Silver Star - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Pat Tillman has just been awarded the Silver Star

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:42 pm

RugbyD wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
BronsonPinchot wrote:Is it just me, or do his awards keep getting higher and higher as the days pass?

Sometimes it takes awhile for all the details to come out - or are you implying he's undeserving?????

IMO this is some serious grade inflation due to massive political face-saving. A friend of mine only got a crappy bronze star for doing much more.

Wow, you're friend gave up millions of dollars to go serve his country too? You're lucky to have such a cool friend.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:06 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
BronsonPinchot wrote:Is it just me, or do his awards keep getting higher and higher as the days pass?

Sometimes it takes awhile for all the details to come out - or are you implying he's undeserving?????

IMO this is some serious grade inflation due to massive political face-saving. A friend of mine only got a crappy bronze star for doing much more.

Wow, you're friend gave up millions of dollars to go serve his country too? You're lucky to have such a cool friend.

i don't think they give out medals for monetary consideration, but i could be mistaken, but i doubt it.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby DK » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:06 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
stomperrob wrote:

Who said life was about money?
The amount of money Tillman gave up did not change the actions he took in battle; and neither would it anyone else.

Personally I find your last comment extraordinarily insensitive. What if his friend has died as well?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:19 am

DK wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
stomperrob wrote:

The amount of money Tillman gave up did not change the actions he took in battle; and neither would it anyone else.

Personally I find your last comment extraordinarily insensitive. What if his friend has died as well?

I apologize if that is the case. That didn't even cross my mind. I assumed that troops killed in battle recieve more than a bronze star.

I found it insensitive to speak down about what Pat Tilleman both accomplished and sacrificed, so I was basing my comment towards that. I wasn't meaning to base my thoughts towards Rugby's friend, more focusing things on Tillman. Not always the easiest to communicate through a message board.

I've lost a friend in Iraq and have three cousins there right now. So trust me I didn't mean to come across like I probably did.

So Rugby, I apologize again.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RugbyD » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:02 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
DK wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
stomperrob wrote:

I apologize if that is the case. That didn't even cross my mind. I assumed that troops killed in battle recieve more than a bronze star.

I found it insensitive to speak down about what Pat Tilleman both accomplished and sacrificed, so I was basing my comment towards that. I wasn't meaning to base my thoughts towards Rugby's friend, more focusing things on Tillman. Not always the easiest to communicate through a message board.

I've lost a friend in Iraq and have three cousins there right now. So trust me I didn't mean to come across like I probably did.

So Rugby, I apologize again.

s'ok. change your allegiances to the north side and you're 100% forgiven ;-)
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:21 am

The actions of others does not take away from the price Tillman paid for his country. He gave away comfort and security so that we can have comfort and security. He is a true American Hero and the details surrounding his death and shortly after do not change that.

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:28 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:The actions of others does not take away from the price Tillman paid for his country. He gave away comfort and security so that we can have comfort and security. He is a true American Hero and the details surrounding his death and shortly after do not change that.

Nobody is saying that he is any less of a hero because of how he died. What we're saying (what I'm saying at least) is that it's absolutely despicable that the higher ups flat out lied to the public and, more importantly, his family, about how he died. I think the least they deserve is the truth on the last moments of their son/brother/etc.'s life.

Then, not only did they lie about it, but they used his death as a propoganda tool. It takes nothing away from Tillman's sacrafice, but it's a morally reprehensible thing to do.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:39 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:The actions of others does not take away from the price Tillman paid for his country. He gave away comfort and security so that we can have comfort and security. He is a true American Hero and the details surrounding his death and shortly after do not change that.

Nobody is saying that he is any less of a hero because of how he died. What we're saying (what I'm saying at least) is that it's absolutely despicable that the higher ups flat out lied to the public and, more importantly, his family, about how he died. I think the least they deserve is the truth on the last moments of their son/brother/etc.'s life.

Then, not only did they lie about it, but they used his death as a propoganda tool. It takes nothing away from Tillman's sacrafice, but it's a morally reprehensible thing to do.

Yeah, my point is that your angle was brought up in a thread honoring him with a Silver Star. It takes away from what this thread was meant, and should, be used for.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:51 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

Yeah, my point is that your angle was brought up in a thread honoring him with a Silver Star. It takes away from what this thread was meant, and should, be used for.

That's ridiculous. He was awarded the Silver Star as part of a propaganda program.

A hero died. The government lied to the family and to the American people to make the death seem more heroic. They used the story as propaganda. But you're upset that I sullied a thread on a fantasy baseball forum by bringing it up?

Priorities.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:56 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:But you're upset that I sullied a thread on a fantasy baseball forum by bringing it up?

Bingo.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk