Is OAK looking @ Justin Duchscherer for closer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is OAK looking @ Justin Duchscherer for closer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mtarail » Mon May 03, 2004 2:51 am

I've wondered the same thing myself.

As near as I can tell, the answer is that Bradford won't get the job and the reason is that he's their most reliable set-up guy by far and they need him in that role. If you go down the line, all the top closers throw heat, so Harden seems like an obvious choice as a possible closer. It may also be--and I don't know if this has happened--that Bradford has already made it clear to A's coaching that he doesn't want to close.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Mon May 03, 2004 3:41 am

I don't see any possibility of Harden ever being a closer. Zero. I do see the possibility of his being a Cy Young caliber starter inside of two years. He's still got some command issues, but his stuff is filthy. Once he figures it all out, he's going to be great. Anyone who can score him cheap in a keeper league gets a legit potential 2005 monster. The fact he's in the Oakland organization, where closers are not considered to be a top priority (pretty clear from their willingness to let good ones go, as well as the "Moneyball" philosophy), I'd actually say Harden as a closer is a less than zero possibility.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby LBJackal » Mon May 03, 2004 10:23 am

Rhodes will probably remain the closer unless he does extremely bad, or gets injured (both possible). I wouldn't count Harden out as a closer either, and definately wouldn't say there is a zero chance he'll become the closer, because nobody knows.

As for Bradford, I don't think he'll become the closer. He hasn't had a good WHIP or K/9 over the past couple years. Those are usually the stats that a closer excels at. The only exception I can think of is Danny Graves.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mightyian5 » Mon May 03, 2004 10:29 am

harden would be a great closer, and i really dont think that hell be a cy-young caliber pitcher. hell be a average/good starting pitcher, or maybe a bit above. possibly like matt clement.

rhodes will has been very good, and will keep the role for some time.

if he falters, bradford will get the first shot, and then if that doesnt go well, then POSSIBLY harden will get a look, with no other clear-cut options available.
theyre coming.....
mightyian5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers