Is OAK looking @ Justin Duchscherer for closer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is OAK looking @ Justin Duchscherer for closer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is OAK looking @ Justin Duchscherer for closer

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Sat May 01, 2004 8:47 pm

With Rhodes's troubles, do you think there is a chance that they may move him to be a closer. The guy seems like a solud SP prospect, but he has Redman in front of him, and Joe Blanton coming quickly.

Any OAK insiders know what to make of him?
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Sat May 01, 2004 9:01 pm

Rhodes is the closer, period. He has one blown save in seven tries. As for Duchscherer, he's an end of the rotation prospect at best, and there's nothing in his ledger to suggest he's ever going to close for anyone.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BronsonPinchot » Sat May 01, 2004 9:02 pm

Gonna have to agree with the second post here...an utterly absurd initial question.
BronsonPinchot Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Sat May 01, 2004 9:18 pm

Thanks for being constructive buddy your a big help.....I think it was a legit question.
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby thetongueofire » Sat May 01, 2004 9:23 pm

yup Rhodes job is completely safe for now... u cant judge closers so quicky cos you only have a small sample of IP. i think Rhodes will do reasonably good once he gets used to the closer spot
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mtarail » Sat May 01, 2004 11:37 pm

No, it's not a stupid question.

But I agree with everyone that Rhodes has come around pretty nicely into the closer role. He's gonna have to get beaten up pretty badly to lose his job and even if that happens I don't think that with Descherrer's stuff and inexperience he would have any chance of taking the closing job.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eftda » Sat May 01, 2004 11:44 pm

kcbelieves wrote:Thanks for being constructive buddy your a big help.....I think it was a legit question.

it is a legit question...

BTW: I live in the Bay Area, and on the radio, many A's fans want Harden to be the closer
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Sun May 02, 2004 9:46 am

eftda wrote:
kcbelieves wrote:Thanks for being constructive buddy your a big help.....I think it was a legit question.

it is a legit question...

BTW: I live in the Bay Area, and on the radio, many A's fans want Harden to be the closer

Sporting News mag has suggested that if Harden continues to struggle in the SP that the A's are considering moving Harden to the closer role. Stating that most scouts see him as a Jason Isringhausen type pitcher who might flourish in the closer role. On the other hand, I own Rhodes and this move would kill my team. I know he gave up some runs the other day in the non-save situation but other than that he's done a very respectable job as the closer. I dont see him losing the job anytime soon.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Harden would be great closer

Postby x27man » Sun May 02, 2004 12:12 pm

Although I think Rhodes is safe for now, I question if he can hold up as closer. Harden is definately pitching smarter now, has nasty stuff low in zone, fastball is very live, 95+mph....I would think A's were thinking if Rhodes has trouble, Harden would move into the closers role, and then slide in Blanton as #5 when he is ready...wonder why Rhodes couldn't close May 1 vs Tampa, when Macir got lit up...I didn't draft Rhodes for the above reasons...but he is pitching in a pitchers park..also, I think his pitches may be getting easier to pick up...aims ball too much for my taste.
x27man
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby d18Mike » Mon May 03, 2004 2:18 am

Agree that Rhodes is safe .... but wouldn't Chad Bradford get a look before the guys they've groomed as starters?

Bradford has never had a WHIP above 1.26 in his full seasons (this one is still young).

OK, so he doesn't have killer velocity but he does strike out nearly a hitter an inning. And he keeps the ball on the ground (except early this year for some reason.)
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers