Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - According to a published report, Boston ace Pedro Martinez has cut off contract negotiations with the Red Sox and will become a free agent in the offseason.
The Boston Herald said that Martinez told the team through his agent on Friday about his decision to break contract talks during the season after never receiving a long-term contract from the Red Sox.
Martinez, a three-time Cy Young Award winner, posted a 14-4 record with a major league-leading 2.22 ERA last season. The hard-throwing righthander threw three complete games in 29 starts to help the Red Sox win the American League wild card last year.
Martinez is off to another good start this season with a 3-1 record and a 3.03 ERA in the early going. The dominant pitcher is on a roll, winning two straight contests, allowing just one earned run in 14 innings, while striking out 13 batters.
Martinez's salary is $17.5 million this season. A six-time all-star, Martinez is 170-69 in his career with a 2.62 ERA.