Spot-starting strategy can work well. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Spot-starting strategy can work well.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Spot-starting strategy can work well.

Postby Baseballer02 » Sat May 01, 2004 12:08 am

In one of the H2H leagues I'm in, Bret Myers was my 5th starter, needless to say he's now gone. There was no good pitching I could find on the waiver wire, so i decided to spot start. So far I've done to spot starts, Eric Dubose yesterday, and Cliff Lee today. So far, the results have been great. What I'm getting at is that for those who question whether or not spot starting can work....it most certainly can. If you do enough research and play your cards right, you can do amazing things. But take note, there might not always be a good spot starter every day, the best I found for tomorrow was Jose Lima vs. Montreal. Anyhow, just my take on this subject.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Hyde » Sat May 01, 2004 12:15 am

In a H2H league with no transaction limit that is actually a good strategy because you can get more starts than your opponent, giving you a better chance at taking K's and Wins. I prefer leagues with a transaction limit to prevent this.
When you are born you are given a ticket to the freak show, I say enjoy the show. - George Carlin
Hyde
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Baseballer02 » Sat May 01, 2004 12:18 am

Hyde wrote:In a H2H league with no transaction limit that is actually a good strategy because you can get more starts than your opponent, giving you a better chance at taking K's and Wins. I prefer leagues with a transaction limit to prevent this.

True, spot-starting will certainly give you the upperhand in wins and strikeouts, but if you don't know what you're doing and just picking pitchers blindly, you're basically punting away ERA and WHIP. That is the argument for most people who are against spot starting, I'm just trying to prove it wrong. I'd much prefer to win all four categories, myself. ;-D
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby warrick95 » Sat May 01, 2004 12:23 am

That's what I'm doing this week. Has kicked ass (knock on wood).

I've started:

-- J. Weaver (LA - SP,RP) 0 0 8 3.86 1.14
-- A. Harang (Cin - SP) 1 0 5 3.00 1.33
-- T. Lilly (Tor - SP) 1 0 8 1.00 0.44
-- J. Contreras (NYY - SP,RP) 1 0 4 1.50 0.83
-- B. Kim (Bos - SP,RP) 1 0 2 0.00 0.40
-- S. Mitre (ChC - SP) 0 0 5 12.27 2.45
-- A. Eaton (SD - SP) 0 0 5 7.20 2.00

I have one SP on my roster...Josh Beckett. Started him at Coors, as well. Have (or had) Redman, Ishii, and Lawrence going tonight. Redman won and shut Tampa out through six I believe, while Ishii and Lawrence and in position for wins (even though Lawrence gave up five runs in the first inning).

Going into today, my ERA was 3.40 and my WHIP was 1.17. That's very respectable for spot starting.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Baseballer02 » Sat May 01, 2004 12:25 am

BTW, the stat lines for the two starters I played.

Eric Dubose- 7 IP, 2 K, 2 ER, 3 H, 3 BB 1 W(Isringhausen sorta voided this start however)
Cliff Lee-7 IP, 5 K, 1 ER, 5 H, 4 BB, 1 W
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby federo » Sat May 01, 2004 3:33 am

Spot-starting is the key to my entire strategy. There are tons of good performances by FA SPs every week. Early in the week I am very careful with it and only start the guys I am most confident in, but later in the week if I am way ahead or behind in ERA and WHIP I will be less careful and pick up enough SPs to guarantee I at least win W and K. Worst case scenario is you go 2-2 in ERA, WHIP, W and K, and most of the time you'll do better. As part of this strategy I focus heavily on offense in the draft and get a lot of closers. I will almost never draft an ace unless he falls insanely low, like when Oswalt fell to the 7th and I couldn't pass him up. Aside from Oswalt my starting pitching sucked at first and still isn't that good but by paying close attention to all these free agent starting pitchers eventually I will get some great sleepers and build a good staff.

Right now Montreal has been a great team to spot start against. Valdez and Wells have netted me 15 scoreless innings with a WHIP around .30 this week.
Last edited by federo on Sat May 01, 2004 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
federo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby slomo007 » Sat May 01, 2004 3:38 am

Yes it can work...but when it goes wrong, it really goes wrong. As opposed to ace or second starters on MLB teams, who can usually prevent the 5+ run innings, the pitchers who are usually on the waiver wire are much more likely to have huge innings against them, and get the hook early. The reason is just b/c they don't have enough flat out talent to get out of jams. I use spot-starting strategies pretty often, but man can it burn you if you're unlucky. Every MLB team is capable of putting up a lot of runs (except maybe the Expos). All it takes is one bad outting by a mediocre pitcher and it really hurts your team's stats.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby federo » Sat May 01, 2004 4:11 am

Yes, in fact I'd say probably most of my spot starters don't turn in quality starts, but if you focus on closers and hitters in your draft, you should win at least 4 of the BA/R/RBI/HR/SB/SV every week and with spot starting guarantee yourself another two wins. I've found it to be an almost unbeatable strategy unless your opponent is doing the same thing or counters it by doing some spot starting of his own and is better at it than you. But I haven't been beaten with this strategy in 18 matchups so far. Of course I'm not exactly playing with experts, just average players.
federo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Dice » Sat May 01, 2004 10:10 am

I've had to go to a spot starting strategy over the years in my non-H2H points leagues. It helped me win two years ago when my entire starting rotation crashed at once.

By the all-star break, you'll have a good handle on which teams are very bad offensively and are spot start targets. Last year was the Tigers. This year it looks like Montreal.

Of course this year I concentrated on having a good pitching staff, so I don't have to spot start. Unless injuries hit again...
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Spot-starting strategy can work well.

Postby jpbusta » Sat May 01, 2004 12:54 pm

Baseballer02 wrote:In one of the H2H leagues I'm in, Bret Myers was my 5th starter, needless to say he's now gone. There was no good pitching I could find on the waiver wire, so i decided to spot start. So far I've done to spot starts, Eric Dubose yesterday, and Cliff Lee today. So far, the results have been great. What I'm getting at is that for those who question whether or not spot starting can work....it most certainly can. If you do enough research and play your cards right, you can do amazing things. But take note, there might not always be a good spot starter every day, the best I found for tomorrow was Jose Lima vs. Montreal. Anyhow, just my take on this subject.

I've done it ever since the season started. If you go to start and bench forum, there is a sticky at the top where kulcat gives some info on some good waiver starts for the day after. ;-D
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers