AMAZING...Carlos Silva is now 4-0 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AMAZING...Carlos Silva is now 4-0

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mkooljr1 » Sat May 01, 2004 4:28 am

Hmm, 11 K's in 31 1/3 innings??!?!! A K/9 of 3.16?? I wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft. pole, he's certainly not fooling anyone! Has had a solid HR/9 rate in the past and is contuning this year, and is showing very good control, but those lack of K's will kill you. The Twins offense isnt that great, so he won't be a good source of wins. He'd need to post an era in the low 3's and a 1.10 whip or something to have any value in the type of leagues people here play in (Yahoo!).
mkooljr1
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bucsfan04 » Mon May 03, 2004 7:45 am

I'm gonna wait until he starts a few more games before picking him up.
bucsfan04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Shermars » Mon May 03, 2004 8:01 am

bucsfan04 wrote:didn't he used to play for the pirates?

That was Jose Silva (no relationship that I know of) who played for the Pirates.
I will not rest until I have you holding a coke, wearing your own shoe, playing a Sega game featuring you, while singing your own song in a new commercial starring you, broadcast during a super bowl game you are winning. Show me the $$$!!!
Shermars
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mordraken » Mon May 03, 2004 12:15 pm

mkooljr1 wrote:He'd need to post an era in the low 3's and a 1.10 whip or something to have any value in the type of leagues people here play in (Yahoo!).

I agree with the first part of your post (about the 11Ks in 31 IP being farily low), but in the majors so far there are only 23 starters with a WHIP of 1.15 or less and a ERA of 3.50 or less (and more than 20 IP). Given that the average league will have 12 teams in it and each team will have at least 5 starters, most teams won't have more than 2-3 of these studs, meaning that more than 60% of your pitching staff will be made up of people with stats worse than that.

That said, it is encouraging to see his later starts getting better. The K:BB worries me, but if he's a groundball pitcher, then he wouldn't need the Ks and could hope for more double plays to erase his runners allowed.

I put him on my watch list. Thanks for the tip!
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers