Thoughts on Karim Garcia? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Karim Garcia?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Karim Garcia?

Postby d18Mike » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:25 pm

Noticed that Garcia was batting clean-up for the Mets last night. And he has posted decent numbers this year.

Not familair with what's going on with the Mets OF, but when Floyd return next week is Garcia bound for the bench or will he take on a platoon role? Or is he a candidadte for a full time OF spot?

Any ideas on this one?
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jeffc_76 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:28 pm

I don't know.....maybe in a really deep league. There's just a lot of depth at OF and I think I'd probably find a better option elsewhere.

But if I needed someone to back me up in a bar room brawl....... :-D
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pedro » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:29 pm

Who's Karim Garcia?
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby matmat » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:09 pm

Pedro wrote:Who's Karim Garcia?

;-) that is by far one of the funniest sound bytes from recent baseball...

on topic: i have Karim Garcia in my large 15 team 30 man roster league. I have him starting for now, but I will probably need to find some other regular for that spot soon (when floyd comes back), although I think he would still start often enough to make sense for me to have him in my lineup. we will see.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:22 pm

When Floyd comes to back they revert to the Garcia/Spencer platoon. IMO Garcia has played well enough to win the job outright but Spencer has played very well so I don't think the situation will change. I also would not expect Garcia to bat clean up too often. I think Howe is just trying to shake things up to get something going.

Here I thought the Mets were getting a bum, a thug and a Yankee-reject all rolled into one package. This guy has pleasantly surprised me and his hustle in the field is awesome. I am really starting to like him and the fact that he intimidates Pedro makes it that much better. ;-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jeffc_76 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:55 pm

I like Garcia and I wouldn't consider him a reject at all. There just wasn't a whole lot of room for him on the team after Sheffield and Lofton were signed. One other thing to consider about Garcia is that he has had some very impressive hot streaks with the bat. If you see him start to catch fire, it probably won't hurt to start him until he cools off. Just don't expect season long production.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Melo255 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:02 pm

Amazinz wrote:Here I thought the Mets were getting a bum, a thug and a Yankee-reject all rolled into one package. This guy has pleasantly surprised me and his hustle in the field is awesome. I am really starting to like him and the fact that he intimidates Pedro makes it that much better. ;-D

Lol if you think Pedro is intimidated by Garcia you know nothing about Pedro. Pedro and Clemens are the same breed of pitcher-they will hit people-pitch inside constantly-and do whatever it takes to unnerve the hitter and get back the inside of the plate. All great pitchers have that same quality of fearlessness. If you follow the Sox you will have noticed that Pedro doesn't get intimidated or scared-he gets mad-and even. His best pitching performances have come after someone charged him. I almost want someone to ran after him to get him going. Pedro doesn't have to worry about anything, least of all a hitter charging the mound. Not with arguably the strongest man in all of baseball in Varitek ready at the drop of a hat to pretty much paralyze anyone who threatens his pitchers. Anyway while I hate Garcia he isn't a bad player if he plays everyday but as has been said already that won't happen once Floyd comes back.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:08 pm

Yes it was a joke Melo. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby matmat » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:09 pm

Melo255 wrote:Pedro doesn't get intimidated or scared-he gets mad-and even. His best pitching performances have come after someone charged him. I almost want someone to ran after him to get him going. Pedro doesn't have to worry about anything, least of all a hitter charging the mound. Not with arguably the strongest man in all of baseball in Varitek ready at the drop of a hat to pretty much paralyze anyone who threatens his pitchers.

so basically, you're saying that pedro is an arrogant, cocky SOB that has a good bodyguard? I hope someone charges pedro one of these days... maybe someone like, oh, I don't know, giambi or lopez and knock his sorry ass into center field before veritek can get anywhere near.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Melo255 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:16 pm

Amazinz wrote:Yes it was a joke Melo. :-D

oops, lol, completely missed that one O:-)

And matmat yes Pedro is cocky and arrogant. Why wouldn't he be? He is one of the best pitchers not only of this era but of all time. I think anyone can be cocky and arrogant when they are good as he is. And I'd like to know what pitcher of similar size would not want their catcher to stop a massive roid freak from charging them? Pedro isn't stupid enough to take his 5'10 180 pound frame into a fight with a 6'2 250 pound monster. Pedro is one the nicest and funniest people in baseball-just not with the opposing hitters-and that's a good thing-he isn't out there to be friends with people. I mean jeez how could you not laugh last year when the camera panned to the dugout and he was sitting on the bench wearing a headcovering Yoda mask? Hilarious. Personally I don't see how anyone can hate Pedro if they don't also hate Clemens and Randy Johnson.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers